Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Popcorn Palace (Schiller Park, IL) alerts consumers that the following 1-Gallon Value Bags of popcorn contain one or more undeclared allergens: Cheddar Cheese (milk and soy), White Cheddar (milk and soy), Chicago Style (milk and soy), Gourmet Caramel (milk and soy), Rainbow (soy), Caramel Nut (milk, soy, peanuts, almonds and cashews), Chocolate Drizzle Caramel (milk and soy), Macadamia Butter Crunch (milk, soy and macadamia nuts), Cookies & Cream (milk, soy and wheat), and Spicy Cheese (milk, soy and wheat). Affected products were available for purchase after October 1st, 2011 through one of the company’s fundraising programs.
- Allergy Alert: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Raspberry Cheesecake, Blueberry Cheesecake, and Strawberry Cheesecake (24-oz size; Purchased Nov. 29 – Dec 20, 2011), due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA posts retail distribution list for Chuck Fine Ground Beef 80/20 (10-lb chubs) recalled by Tyson Fresh Meats Inc. due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: The Zeroll Company (Fort Pierce, FL) recalls Pampered Chef Ice Cream Dippers, because the cap and seal at the end of the scoop handle can fly off with substantial force when the liquid-filled scoop is exposed to warm water.
- Allergy Alert: Choy Foong International Trading Co. Ltd. recalls Slow Taste Spice Tofu In Skewers (90g; Lot code 20110611; Best before 30/12/2012), due to the presence of undeclared sesame seeds.
- Allergy Alert: Choy Foong International Trading Co. Ltd. recalls Thai Top Choice Instant Beef Flavor Paste (225g; All codes), due to the presence of undeclared wheat.
- Allergy Alert: Marché Marie-Lyne (Longueuil, QC) recalls Danoise à la canelle / Cinnamon Danish (all lots), due to the presence of undeclared eggs.
- Allergy Alert: Nishimoto Trading Co. Ltd. recalls various dried mushrooms, due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. Please refer to the CFIA recall details for a list of affected products.
- Food Recall: Salaison Levesque Inc. recalls Levesque Tradition Natural Smoked Ham (1kg; Codes 11JA17 or 12JA17) due to a labeling issue. The product was distributed to retail customers and institutional clients in Alberta, Manitoba, Nunavut, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall/Alert: Importers of fresh jalapeno peppers are recalling the following products (imported from the USA), due to potential Salmonella contamination. The affected products include:
- Unlabeled from bulk at Safeway stores and various independent grocery stores in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Yukon, between December 3 and 20, 2011, inclusively.
- Unlabeled from bulk or in 4.5 kg Cal Fresco brand cases at Loblaws banners (Extra Foods, No Frills, Real Canadian Wholesale Club, Shop Easy, SuperValu, Real Canadian Superstore, Lucky Dollar and Your Independent Grocer) in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan, between December 3 and 20, 2011, inclusively.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Meira Nova Oy recalls Catz mixed dried fruits (12.5Kg box; Expiry 27/07/2012; Packed in the Netherlands), due to the presence of sulphites above the allowable limit.
- Allergy Alert (Sweden): OLW expands its earlier recall of Dill & Chives Chips to include best before dates between 2012-03-27 and 2012-05-23 (40g, 200g, 300g & 450g bags), due to the presence of undeclared traces of milk.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda recalls Asda Frozen Chicken Biryani Steamer (400g; Best before 25 October 2012), due to the presence of undeclared prawns.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Jin Lan recalls Homemade Tofu (650g plastic tubs; Best before 23-12-2011), due to the presence of the unapproved ingredient, calcium sulphate (gypsum).
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Natco recalls Natco Ground Cumin (100g jar, 100g pack, 400g pack, 1kg pack and 5kg pack; Best before September 2013 and October 2013), because some of the product is contaminated with Salmonella.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): EKO Australia Pty Ltd. recalls Kamfen Buckwheat Noodles (340g; Best before 2013.04.15), Kamfen Beijing Noodles – Abalone Chicken Soup Flavour (160g; Best before 2013.01.15), and Kamfen Sichuan Noodles – Abalone Chicken Soup Noodles (154g; Best before 2013.01.15), because the products are contaminated with Bacillus cereus. The recalled noodles were imported from Hong Kong and distributed through Asian grocery stores in Sydney, NSW.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.