Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Gollo Desserts (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Pan Dominicano / Dominican Bread (7-oz clear plastic bag; UPC 96321 00220; All available lot codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled product was sold in the New York City metro area, Long Island, New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: CTG Brands Inc. (Vaughan, ON) recalls Princess The White Collection Velvet Necklace with Heart Rhinestone Pendant (Manufactured in China), because the piece of jewelry contains lead in excess of the allowable limit. The recalled necklaces were sold across Canada in various dollar and discount stores from May 2007 to December 2011.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): My Dolmio Tomato & Basil Sauce Squeeze Me (2 x 65g pkg; All batches; All best before dates) may contain undeclared milk, due to a packaging error.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Colruyt recalls Saucission Plop (Items #27663 and 00842; Best before 28/12/2011, 29/12/2011 and 30/12/2011) due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Lembcke recalls Brussels Sprouts (10 x 500g packs; Product of Holland; Lot #4902), after lab tests discover Listeria monocytogenes in a sample of the product.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Denmark): Axellus A/S recalls Gerimax Daily Energy 50 + 120 (Batch #415468; Best before 10 2013), Gerimax Daily Energy 200 pieces (Batch #415635; Best before 10 2013), Gerimax Daily Energy 50 + 300 pcs (Batch #415469; Best before 10 2013), and Gerimax Extreme 45 Tablets (Batch #415462; Best before 10 2013), because some of the vitamin pills contain some small metallic threads.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1854): Excessive aluminum in rice flour from Vietnam; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1857): Altered organoleptic characteristics and spoilage of frozen capon cuts from Italy; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1858): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1860): Mold-infested sauce bolognese from the Czech Republic; distributed to Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1861): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1862): Aflatoxins in white maize from Nigeria; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1863): Ephedrine in iced fruit tea from Hong Kong; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1864): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled hake from Croatia; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1866): Omethoate in quince from Turkey; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1867): Fraudulent changing of expiry dates of green beans from Germany; distributed to Romania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1868): Methomyl in strawberries from Egypt; distributed to Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1869): Cadmium in crispy squid from Thailand; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1871): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Poland; distributed to Italy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Green Monkey Ltd. recalls five varieties of Green Monkey Organic Baby Food (100g tear-top pouches; Product of New Zealand; All best before dates up to and including 22/05/2013), due to the presence of small plastic pieces in the products. The recalled varieties include: Apple/Blueberry, Carrot/Parsnip, Pumpkin/Silverbeet/Sweet Potato, Lamb/Carrot/Sweet Potato, and Beef/Apple/Beetroot/Pumpkin. They were distributed in Woolworths, Safeway and Dux supermarkets nationwide.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.