Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Tyson Fresh Meats, Inc. (Dakota City, NE) recalls Chuck Fine Ground Beef 80/20 (10-lb chubs; Best before or freeze by 11/13/11; Est. 245C), because the ground beef products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled 40,948 pounds of ground beef was supplied to institutions and distributors in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
- Food Safety Recall: B&M Inc. (Mount Vernon, MO) recalls O Organics Organic Celery Seed (1.8-oz glass bottles; Lot No. 1381102A, 2141102A, 2591106A, 2741106A, 2921102A and 3321110A; Best by dates (respectively) May 18, 2013, August 02, 2013, September 16, 2013, October 01, 2013, October 19, 2013 and November 28, 2013), due to potential Salmonella contamination. The recalled Celery Seed was sold from May 25, 2011 through December 16, 2011 at all Safeway-owned stores, including Safeway, Carrs, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Pak ‘N Save, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb and Vons.
- Food Safety Recall: Swanson Health Products recalls Swanson Organic Celery Seed Whole (1.4-oz plastic bottles; Best by 03JUN2013; Lot #1541102C), after being advised by its supplier, B&M Inc., that the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Celery Seed was sold at the Swanson Health Products retail store (Fargo, ND), shipped directly to on-line or mail-order customers, or held for pickup at Swanson headquarters.
- Outbreak Alert Update: The California Department of Food and Agriculture has lifted its quarantine on nearly all Organic Pastures raw milk and dairy products, including raw milk, raw butter, raw cream, and raw Qephor. Only the raw colostrum remains quarantined. The quarantine was imposed after five cases of E. coli O157:H7 illness in four different California counties were linked epidemiologically to Organic Pastures raw milk. Three of the five affected children were hospitalized with hemolytic uremic syndrome, a sometimes fatal complication of E. coli O157:H7 infections.
- Food Safety Recall: Euromax Foods (Brampton, ON) recalls Euromax brand Smoked Mackerel (Best before 28DE 11), Smoked Mackerel Fillets (Best before 21DE 11 and 28DE 11), Smoked Herring (Best before 28DE 11), Smoked Herring Fillets (Best before 28DE 11), Smoked Rainbow Trout (Best before 28DE 11), Smoked White Fish (Best before 21DE 11), and Smoked Halibut (Best before 21DE 11), because the products may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled smoked fish products were sold in variable weights only at Euromax Foods retail store (Brampton, Ontario).
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Wards in several north-west London and Bedfordshire hospitals have been closed, and visiting has been severely restricted, in order to contain an outbreak of norovirus gastroenteritis in these hospitals. The affected hospitals include Northwick Park Hospital, Bedford Hospital, Doncaster Royal Infirmary, Montagu Hospital, and Warwick Hospital.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La Société Salaison Polette ZA recalls Môssieur Polette, Nos Regions on du Talent, Cora, Match chez Leclerc, Casino, Monoprix, and Match brand Saucisson Secs / Saucisses Sèches Label Rouge dry sausages (All lots of product sold from 01/10/11 to 15/12/11), due to a strong probability of Salmonella contamination.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Coles Supermarkets Ltd. recalls Coles Chocolate Cake with Icing Cake Mix (470g cardboard box; All best before dates up to and including 16 Dec 12), due to the presence of undeclared sesame. The recalled products were distributed nationwide.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.