Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Velvet Crème Popcorn Co. (Westwood, KS) issues Allergy Alert to advise the public that Velvet Crème Peanut Brittle (4-oz bags) contains undeclared milk; Velvet Crème Tail Gate Crunch (1-lb and 8-oz bags) contains undeclared wheat and soy; and Velvet Crème Sweet Cajun Heat (1-lb and 8-oz bags) contains undeclared wheat and soy. The affected items are not identified by lot number – they were sold at the company’s retail store in Westwood, Kansas prior to December 13, 2011.
- Allergy Alert: B. Roberts Foods (Charlotte, NC) recalls Harris Teeter, Fresh Foods Market, American Cuisine, Meatloaf with Red Skin Mashed Potatoes (17-oz refrigerated pkgs; Est 19198; Use by 12/20/11), due to misbranding and the presence of undeclared anchovies. The recalled products were sold in Harris Teeter supermarkets in Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Washington, DC.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Hannaford (Scarborough, ME) recalls variable-weight packages of ground beef, prepared and purchased at Hannaford stores on or before December 17, 2011, due to contamination with antibiotic-resistant Salmonella Typhimurium. The recalled ground beef products have been linked epidemiologically to 14 cases of salmonellosis reported from several northeastern states.
- Allergy Alert: Korea Food Trading (Vaughan, ON) recalls Nonghyup Arumchan Matkimchi (500g), Nonghyup Arumchan Pogikimchi (500g) and Nonghyup Suncheon Pogikimchi (1000g), due to the presence of undeclared fish and shrimp. The recalled kimchi products were imported from Korea and distributed in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: Kam Wah Resources Co. Ltd. recalls Xiangxiangzui Dried Bean Curd, also known as Instant Dried Tofu (206g; all packages), due to the presence of undeclared sesame seeds. The recalled product was distributed in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: Associated Brands recalls Table Talk Chicken Noodle Soup Mix (260g; Lot code 129124), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Consumer Product Safety Alert: Health Canada reminds consumers that high levels of lead and cadmium may be found in a wide variety of children’s jewelery products.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): The Co-operative recalls The Co-operative Scottish Smoked Salmon (160g; Use by 21 December and 24 December 2011), because the products contain high levels of Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Sweden): Axfood AB recalls Garant brand Swedish Veal Mince, 17% fat (500g; Expiry 15 December) and KA Lagerstrom Veal Mince (2.5 kg; Expiry December 16), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Withdrawal (Denmark): January Import A/S withdraws Sun Island Dried Apricots (300g; Production date 24.10.2011; Best before 24.04.2013; Lot code 9730), due to bulging packages. There is no health risk associated with this withdrawal.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1848): Sulfite in coconut cream from Thailand, via Sweden; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1851): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled tuna salad from Belgium; distributed to France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1852): Undeclared milk ingredient in potato chips from Sweden; distributed to Denmark, Finland and Sweden.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Japan): More than 1,000 inmates of Osaka Prison (Sakai, Osaka Prefecture) suffered food poisoning overnight Tuesday. The health center has closed the prison kitchen for three days and inmates are being served from emergency preserved food supplies.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand and Australia): Green Monkey Limited recalls Green Monkey Organic Baby Food (100g pouches; All varieties and batches), due to a packaging fault that could lead to a risk of foreign plastic matter inside the pouches. The recalled baby food products were sold in supermarkets throughout New Zealand and also exported to Australia, where they are sold through Woolworths Supermarkets.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (Australia): Nova Pharmaceuticals Australasia Pty Ltd. recalls Great Life Benifex Eucalyptus Oil 100% (200mL amber PET bottle; Sold between 14 October 2011 and 14 December 2011), because the child-resistant closures on some bottles are not fully engaged. The recalled product was sold in ALDI stores in New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.