Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Rising Moon Organics® recalls Rising Moon Organics Mediterranean Garlic & Herb Ravioli (8-oz pkg; Sell by Apr 05 2012) due to the presence of undeclared soy. The recall was initiated as a result of a labeling error on the part of the copacker. The recalled product was distributed through retail stores nationwide.
- Allergy Alert: Metro Plus (435, montée Paiement, Gatineau, QC) recalls Sandwich Smoke Meat (all products sold on or before 14 décembre 2011), due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Allergy Alert (France): Lima recalls Lima Choco Rice Cakes au Chocolat Noir (100g; Item #40085), due to the presence of undeclared milk and lactose.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Delfood SA recalls Fagot saucisses crocq nature (100g; Best before 19/1/2012 and 24/1/2012; Lot #311004) and Mini Saucisses Snack Bar (25g; Best before 7/2/2/12; Lot #311004R), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1826): Aflatoxins in sateh sauce from Malaysia; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1827): Alfatoxins in roasted pistachio nuts with raw material from Iran, via Germany; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1828): Enterotoxigenic Bacillus cereus, high Enterobacteriaceae count and mold infestation in cayenne pepper from China, via Austria; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1830): Listeria monocytogenes in frozen trout fillets from Turkey, via Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1831): Insect larvae in cake from Italy; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1832): Salmonella Newport in fresh rosemary from Uganda; distributed to Denmark and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1834): Oxamyl in cucumber from Spain; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1837): Salmonella Newport in watermelon fans processed in the United Kingdom with raw material from Brazil; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1838): Salmonella spp. in dry sausages from France; distributed to Belgium, France, Germany and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1839): Elevated aluminum in chicken flavor instant noodle soup from Vietnam, via Poland; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1840): Mercury in chilled ray from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1841): Ochratoxin A in dried figs from Turkey; distributed to France and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1843): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1844): Methamidophos, acephate, ethion, and triazophos in curry leaves from India; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1847): Mold and insect infestation in groundnuts powder from Italy; distributed to Austria and Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Japan): Japan’s Ministry of Health reports that it has detected E. coli O157 within beef liver for the first time. Until now, it has only found surface contamination of beef livers with the pathogen. The findings may soon result in the government issuing a ban on the sale of raw liver by butchers and restaurants.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.