Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Giant Eagle advises its customers that the manufacturer has recalled Healthy Times Brown Rice Baby Cereal (UPC 4868502188; Sell by 24 March 2013; Lot #13011 1505-1557), due to the presence of undeclared wheat.
- Food Safety Recall: The Kroger Co. advises customers of Dillons, Baker’s Gerbes and Food4Less Fremont stores that Green Hills Organic Whole Milk (64-oz container) has been recalled due to levels of alkaline phosphatase above the standard for Grade A pasteurized milk. Elevated alkaline phosphatase levels are an indicator of possible inadequate pasteurization or possible cross-contamination of pasteurized milk with unpasteurized milk.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for recall of Boneless Oven Roasted Chicken Breast announced by House of Raeford Farms due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Outbreak Alert: Mississippi State Department of Health reports that 59 patrons and employees of Don Julio Mexican Restaurant (Corinth, MS) are confirmed to have been infected with Salmonella. The District Health Officer describes this outbreak as “an isolated problem with this particular restaurant” that does not appear to be an issue with a food producer or supplier.
- FDA Warning Letters: FDA issues warning letters to the following companies due to serious violations of the seafood HACCP regulation: Blue Water Connection Seafood Corp. (Hialeah, FL), Sushi Avenue, Inc. (Eagan, MN), Crown O’Maine Organic Cooperative (Vassalboro, ME), and H.R. Beals and Sons, Inc. (Southwest Harbor, ME).
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns B.A. Howie, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) that an August 2011 inspection of the company’s New Jersey pickle manufacturing facility revealed serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food (CGMP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Big D Ranch, Inc. (Meridian, ID) that an August 2011 inspection of the company’s warehouse/packing facility revealed number of objectionable conditions and practices, which cause the foods at your facility to be adulterated within the meaning of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act in that they were prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have become contaminated with filth or rendered injurious to health.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Quinault Indian Nation (Taholah, WA) that an April/May 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing and low-acid canned food manufacturing facility found serious deviations from the Low-Acid Canned Food regulations and the Good Manufacturing Practices regulations.
- Allergy Alert: Fresh Direct Foods (2010) Ltd. recalls Get Fresh Veggie Tray (1.93kg; All best before dates up to and including 11DE18) due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled product was distributed in Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall: Bos Smoked Fish Inc. (Woodstock, ON) recalls Bos brand refrigerated vacuum packed smoked fish products (variable weight packaging; no Best before dates; all species and flavors with “Keep Refrigerated” on the package), because the products may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Parmalat Canada Inc. recalls certain Compliments, No Name, Selection, BD, Co-op, and Co-op Gold cheese products (500g and 1kg sizes; all codes), because the products may be contaminated with glass fragments. The recalled cheese products were distributed nationally. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Whole Foods Market advises its Canadian customers that Fontaine Santé products, recalled by the manufacturer due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes, were sold in Whole Foods Market retail locations in Canada. Please refer to the Fontaine Santé recall notice for a complete list of recalled products.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Kiss Kiss Food Supplies Pty Ltd. recalls certain Kiss Kiss Pastizzi bakery goods (500g bags containing 12 pieces; All best before dates up to and including 24 SEP 12), due to the presence of undeclared soy. The affected products include Bonza Bacon and Ricotta, Cheeky Curry Chicken, Funky Fetta, Perfect Pizza, Playful Pea and Bacon, Super Spinach and Ricotta, Wicked Vegetable, Raging Ricotta, and Awesome Apple, and were sold in IGA supermarkets, Farmer Jacks supermarkets and independent gourmet supermarkets in West Australia.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (Australia): Ozbrite Pty Ltd. recalls Sparkling White Teeth (22% Carbamide Peroxide) value packs (Batch No. 1206; Expiry 06/2013), because product contains a concentration of carbamide peroxide in excess of the recognised safe limit of 18% w/w. The recalled product was sold by Green Coffee Australia, and Ozbrite Pty Ltd. and was available nationally.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (Australia): Ozbrite Pty Ltd. recalls 35% Sparkling White Teeth whitening pen, because the product contains a concentration of carbamide peroxide in excess of the recognised safe limit of 18% w/w. The recalled product was sold by Ozbrite Pty Ltd. and was available nationally.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.