Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Walmart and Giant Eagle advise their customers that Pacific Cilantro, which was recalled on December 9, 2011 by Pacific International Marketing due to potential Salmonella contamination, was sold in stores belonging to those retail chains.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Advanced Animal Nutrition recalls Dog Power Adult Maintenance Formula 21-12 Dog Food, Dog Power Hunters Formula 26-14 Dog Food, and Dog Power Hi-Pro Performance Formula 26-18 Dog Food (50-lb bags; Lot codes K0004 through K1322; Manufactured between Jan 4, 2011 and Nov. 18, 2011), due to aflatoxin levels that are above the acceptable limit. The recalled dry dog food products were distributed in Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Costco Canada warns its customers that Fontaine Santé brand salad products (Best before dates up to and including 2011 DE 26; Lot #315-339, inclusive), which have been recalled by the manufacturer due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes, were sold in Costco Canada Warehouse stores in Ontario and Quebec, and possibly in other provinces and territories.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): Lima nv expands its earlier recall to include all production batches of Choco Rice Cakes au Chocolat Noir (100g), because the product contains undeclared milk and lactose.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Aldi Stores Ltd. recalls Ballymore Crust Fresh White Sliced Bread (800g; Batch code DU 12 14:34; Best before 14.12.11), due to the possible presence of small rubber pieces in a few loaves.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Coop Denmark A/S recalls Lettuce (Packed by Brdr. H&H Knudsen; Lot 49B, 49C, 49D and 49E), after Campylobacter was found in Lot 49C.
- Food Safety Recall (Greece): aftertaste SA recalls OGO Oxygen Water (0.33L bottle; Expiry 12/2011; Lot #L2746; Product of Netherlands), due to the bromates above the permitted concentration.
- Pet Product Safety Recall (Netherlands): V & D recalls certain I Love My Dog and I Love My Cat cups and bowls, because the paint on the pet dishes contains a high level of chromium, which can leach into the food and water and harm the pets.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoire Merck Médication Familiale recalls Terpine Gonnon 0.5% cough syrup (Lot TG 0111, Expiry 07/2014; TG 0211, Expiry 07/2014; and TG0311, Expiry 08/2014), due to light deposit of excipients in certain bottles.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Sweden): The National Food Administration advises the public that DunMedics has made misleading claims for DunMedics vitamin D oil intended for infants and toddlers. The incident has been referred to the Swedish National Consumer Agency for investigation.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1819): Undeclared peanut in waffles from Bulgaria; distributed to Bulgaria and Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1821): Escherichia coli in mussels from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1823): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1824): Incorrect labeling on food supplement from Ukraine, via Latvia; distributed to Finland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Medicine Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health advises the public not to consume to proprietary Chinese medicines – Jin Kui Shen Qi Wan and a brown-colored pill sold with no name – because the pills may contain undeclared poisons.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Future Cuisine Ltd. recalls Pams Brand Wood-Smoked Mussels (200g & 500g; BBQ, Garlic and Sweet Chili flavors; Use by 13/12/2011; Batch #547) and Future Cuisine Brand Smoked Mussels (500g; Plain, BBQ, Garlic and Sweet Chili flavors; Use by 13/12/2011; Batch #547), due to a positive Listeria monocytogenes test result.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (Australia): Whiter Smile recalls Dr. Collins All-White Bleaching Kit (22% carbamide peroxide), Smile Fusion System with Viocin (22% carbamide peroxide) and Tres-White Pre-Filled Trays (hydrogen peroxide), because the products contain peroxide in excess of the recognized safe limits. The recalled products were distributed nationally via online sales.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.