Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: D’Orazio Foods, Inc. (Bellmawr, NJ) recalls Albertsons’ Sausage Ravioli, Jewel Sausage Ravioli, Albertsons’ Beef Ravioli, Jewel Beef Ravioli, and Our Family Beef Ravioli (all in 25-oz poly bags; Est 20146; Best if used by 12/01/11 to 12/01/12), because the frozen stuffed pasta products were produced without the benefit of federal inspection. The recalled products were manufactured between December 1, 2010 and December 1, 2011 and distributed to distribution centers in California, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Oregon, Texas and Utah.
- Food Safety Recall: Crystal Geyser® (Calistoga, CA) recalls Tejava® Premium Iced Tea (12-oz glass bottles; Production lot code dates of 1BT220, 1BT221, 1BT222, 1BT223, 1BT252, 1BT253, 1BT254, 1BT255, 1BT277, 1BT278, 1BT279, 1BT280, and 1BT313), due to the possible presence of glass fragments. The recalled iced tea products were distributed nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: House of Raeford Farms (Raeford, NC) recalls Boneless Oven Roasted Chicken Breast (18 to 22-lb boxes containing two 9 to 11-lb pkgs; Est #P-239A; Product Code 94268; Package date 1270), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled ready-to-eat chicken breasts were shipped to delicatessens and food service institutions for further processing in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina.
- Outbreak Alert: More than 40 people who attended two events this week at the Greysolon Ballroom in Duluth, MN reported becoming ill after eating at the ballroom. The outbreak is being investigated by the Minnesota Department of Health, which received the first report of the illnesses on Tuesday, December 6th.
- Allergy Alert: Marché AMI (Saint-Laurent-de-l’Île-d’Orléans, QC) recalls Pâté au saumon, Pâté à la viande and Pâté au poulet, due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Allergy Alert: Marché du Faubourg St-Amable inc. IGA and Marché du Faubourg Ste-Julie inc. IGA Extra recall Barre maïs can/tourn (250g), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Canard Goûteux (Saint-Christophe d’Arthabaska, QC) recalls Rillettes de canard (250-mL glass jars; sold unrefrigerated on or before December 2, 2011), because the product was stored at a temperature that could render it unsafe for human consumption.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): Lima nv recalls Lima brand Choco Rice Cakes au chocolat noir (100g; Lot #H11167C; Expiry date of 16/03/2012), because the product contains undeclared milk and lactose.
- Allergy Alert (Sweden): OLW withdraws OLW brand Dill & Chive crisps (40g, 200g, and 300g; Best before 2012-03-27 and 2012-03-28), because the product may contain traces of undeclared milk.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Chaya S recalls Masoni Siena Panforte Margherita (250g; Lot #20916 A L; Expiry date 31/12-2012), because the product contains insect larvae.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1802): Histamine in canned sardine fillets in sunflower oil from Morocco; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1803): Undeclared color in fruit flavored sweets from Hong Kong; distributed to Ireland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1804): Undeclared soya in frozen meatballs from Sweden; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1805): Salmonella in frozen whole chickens from Belgium, via Sweden; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1807): Unauthorized leucomalachite green in raw and frozen king prawn tails from India, via Belgium; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1808): Excessive bromate in bottled still table water from the Netherlands; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1809): Malathion in sunflower seeds from Ukraine; distributed to Belarus, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1810): Mercury in chilled swordfish slices from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1811 & 2011.1812): Arsenic in dried apple pomace from Poland; distributed to Austria.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Vietnam): More than 300 workers at a Hanoi glove factory were hospitalized with suspected food poisoning after eating their lunch at work. The employees complained of dizziness and nausea.
- Food Safety Enforcement (China): A Chinese dairy farmer will pay with her life for deliberately tainting her rival’s milk supply with sodium nitrite. The woman’s actions apparently resulted in the death of three children, and 36 hospitalizations. The woman’s husband was sentenced to a life term for purchasing the poison on behalf of his wife.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Simplot Australia Pty Ltd. recalls Neptune Frozen Crumbed Squid Rings (1kg; Product of China; All best before dates up to and including 20/06/13), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The product was distributed to wholesale grocery outlets nationally.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Resmi International Pty Ltd recalls Grandma’s Tapioca Chips (200g; Product of India; Date marking 08.2012) and Manjilas Tapioca Chips Spicy (180g; Product of India; Date marking 14.06.2012), due to high levels of naturally occurring cyanide. The recalled products were distributed in NSW, ACT, VIC, WA and QLD.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.