Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency has been informed that Marks and Spencer Garlic and Coriander Butterfly Prawns have been sold without the presence of milk being declared in the allergy information panel. People with a milk allergy should avoid consuming this product. Marks and Spencer has stopped production of the product and will re-label with the correct information.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium and France): Ilhan Food recalls Nefis Kimyon Toz Cumin (80g, 200g, 400g, and 800g sachets; supplied by Yenghes Spices, Netherlands; all lots from 2011; product names include kimyon toz, komijn gemalen, and cumin moulu), after traces of Salmonella were found in the 80g sachets.
- Contact Lens Recall (UK): 4Care AG recalls Lenscare SH-System Monatslinsen contact lenses (Product of Germany; various lot codes), after traces of silicone oil were found on some lenses. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected lot codes.
- Contact Lens Recall (UK and Ireland): CooperVision expands its recall of Avaira™ Toric contact lenses to include specific lots of Avaira™ Sphere contact lenses, some of which were sold in the UK and Ireland. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected lot codes that were distributed in the UK.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1794): Mercury in chilled swordfish from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1795): Mercury in chilled greater amberjack from Greece; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1796): Suspicion of illegal trade of frozen eel from France; distributed to France and Portugal.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1800): Corrosion of apple juice from Sweden; distributed to Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (Abu Dhabi): The Food Control Authority (ADFCA) has ordered the closure of Fuala Trading Company in Abu Dhabi City due to violation of food safety rules. ADFCA said that the “…general hygienic conditions were utterly bad, with cockroaches running around and the place very unclean.”
- Contact Lens Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health advises the public that 4Care AG has recalled certain lots of Lenscare SH-System Monatslinsen contact lenses, due to the presence of traces of silicone oil on the lenses. While these lenses were not marketed in Hong Kong, some individuals may have purchased the recalled contact lenses from abroad. Please refer to the Safety Alert for a list of recalled lot codes.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.