Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: The Utah Division of Regulatory Services cites Mr. Fidel Gomez (West Valley City, UT) and fines him $500 for violations of the Utah Dairy Act, including illegally manufacturing and distributing cheese without a permit and not labeling the cheese. Mr. Gomez supplied a Salt Lake valley restaurant with queso fresco cheese that was linked to 42 lab-confirmed cases of Salmonella Newport gastroenteritis.
- Food Safety Recall: Smiley sauce spaghetti à la viande (Farnham, QC) recalls Star Originale, Smiley brand Sauce Spaghetti à la Viande / Spaghetti Meat Sauce (750ml, 1.4L and 2.1L glass jars; sold before December 2, 2011), because the product was held and stored without refrigeration and represents a health hazard.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Culina Foods sprl recalls Sla Mustard Dill Dressing (250ml bottles; Best before 17/02/12, 02/04/12, 09/04/12, 12/05/12, 21/05/12, and 12/06/12; Lot #1106171, 1106172, 1108021, 1108022, 1108091, 1108092, 1109131, 1109132, 1109211, and 1110121), due to possible fermentation in the bottles as a result of a production error.
- Food Safety Recall (France): A l’Olivier recalls various flavors of vinaigrette (250ml bottles), because of possible contamination with particles of glass. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of flavors, lot numbers and Best Before dates.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Tirol Milch Wörgl recalls Andreas Hofer Anniversary Cheese (200g; Best before 02/09/2012), Austrian Alps Mark Mountain Cheese (300g; Best before 28/02/2012, 03/05/2012, and 03/06/2012) and Mountain Cheese (430g; Best before 27/02/2012, 03/03/2012, 04/03/2012, 03/10/2012 and 11/03/2012), because the cheese rind may be contaminated with Listeria.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Germany): Consumers should avoid using Slimming Coffee Leisure 18 Coffee for weight reduction (18 x 10g packets; Product of China; Batch # 20110801, 20110901, 20110924, 20110301, and 20110914), because the product contains the undeclared prescription medication sibutramine, which can cause serious side effects in certain individuals.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Trappist Dairy Limited recalls Trappist Dairy Hi-Calcium Low Fat Milk Drink (236ml; Use by 4.12.2011) and Trappist Dairy Fresh Milk (236 ml and 946 ml; Use by 6.12.2011), because the milk may be contaminated with toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes. Two illnesses have been reported.
- Food Safety Alert (Saudi Arabia): The Saudi Food & Drug Authority (SFDA) warns the public that tests of Radwa Drops potable drinking water found that several samples contained in excess of the permitted limit of Bromate. Consumers should not drink this water. SFDA has taken steps to suspend production, and is urging Radwa Drops Potable Water Factory (Yanbu Al Bahr province) to recall its product from the local market.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Goodman Fielder New Zealand Ltd. recalls Sizzler Triple Cheese (precooked) Sausages (400g; Use by 8/12/2011 and 912/2011), because some of the sausages may contain blue plastic pieces. The recalled product is sold in all supermarkets throughout New Zealand.
- Medical Device Safety Recall (Australia): Coloplast Pty Ltd. recalls Trident Catheter Valve (Item #380851; Batch #2565208, 2646228, 2662994, 2696297, 2701396, 2708828, 2724652, 2730835, 2793517, 2800400, 2812339, 2819240, 2825445, 2887949, and 2918547), because the batches failed sterility tests conducted by the manufacturer.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.