Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Popkoff Frozen Food, dba Blossom Foods (San Francisco, CA) recalls Blossom Foods Dark and White Meat Chicken with Vegetables (5-oz single serving cups and 5-lb bags; produced between May and Nov. 29, 2011), because the products are misbranded and contain undeclared soy. The recalled items were sold to institutions in the San Francisco and Oakland areas, and directly to consumers via the Internet.
- Allergy Alert: Krasdale Foods Inc (White Plains, NY) recalls Krasdale Crispy Honey Oats and Flakes (14.5-oz cardboard box; Best if used by SEP 20 12 P4), because the product may contain undeclared almonds. The recalled product was distributed to independent retailers, C-Town Supermarkets and Bravo Supermarkets in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
- Allergy Alert: Nishimoto Trading Company, Ltd. (Santa Fe Springs, CA) recalls Shirakiku Brand Dried Shiitake Whole Mushrooms (Product of China; 3-oz plastic rectangular pkg) and Shirakiku Brand Dried Shiitake Sliced Mushrooms (Product of China; 2-oz clear plastic rectangular pkg), because the products may contain high levels of undeclared sulfites.
- Food Safety Recall: Flowers Foods (Thomasville, GA) withdraws Nature’s Own Butterbread (20-oz pkg; Best by date of 12/7/11; UPC 72250-04919), because the products may contain small flakes of aluminum. The recalled bread loaves were sold in grocery stores in Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Brevard, Clay, Columbia, Dixie, Duval, Flagler, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Lafayette, Levy, Marion, Nassau, Putnam, St. Johns, Suwannee, Union, and Volusia counties in Florida and in Atkinson, Bacon, Brantley, Camden, Charlton, Clinch, Glynn, Long, McIntosh, Pierce, Ware, and Wayne counties in Georgia.
- Food Safety Recall: Golden Glen Creamery (Bow, WA) recalls Herbes de Provence Butter and Mushroom Trio Butter (4-oz pkgs; produced November 2, 2011; distributed between 11/7/11 and 11/28/11), because the butters may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled Herbes de Provence Butter was sold at Whole Foods Market in Redmond, WA; the Mushroom Trio Butter was sold at Whole Foods Market in Redmond, WA and at various Metropolitan Market locations in Washington State.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Ocean Spray (Lakeville, MA) expands its earlier recall of Original Flavor Craisins® Dried Cranberries to include five additional production lots. The Dried Cranberries may be contaminated with very small hair-like metal fragments. The additional five recalled lots (please see the recall notice for details), were shipped to retailers in Arizona, California, Colorado, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington.
- Food Safety Recall: Cal Poly Creamery (San Luis Obispo, CA) recalls Farmstead Made Eggnog (1-qt bottles; Expiration dates Dec 10 and Dec 17), due to possible E. coli contamination. The recalled egg nog was sold in Scolari’s Foods (Paso Robles, Pismo Beach and San Luis Obispo), Spencer’s Fresh Markets (Atascadero, Arroyo Grande, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, and Santa Maria), SLO Fresh Market (San Luis Obispo) and Cal Poly Campus Store and Village Markets: Located on Cal Poly Campus (San Luis Obispo).
- Food Safety Recall: Aliments Fontaine Santé Inc. (Ville Saint-Laurent, QC) recalls Fontaine Santé brand Sal-Couscous Royale (1kg and various weight containers (from deli counters); Best before 06 DE 2011), because the salad may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was distributed in Quebec and Ontario, and may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Propack Foods Inc. (Toronto, ON) recalls Tropik Splash brand Lemonade (473 ml bottles; Lot code beginning with BB 2013 SEP 14), because the product may contain harmful glass particles. The recalled lemonade was distributed in Ontario and Quebec, and may also have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Golden Boy Foods recalls Ocean Spray Soft & Moist Sweetened Dried Cranberries (10-lb; Best before 30 OCT 2013 M, 31 OCT 2013 M, and 1 NOV 2013), due to possible contamination with metal particles. The recalled product was shipped to a warehouse in British Columbia.
- Health Supplement Safety Alert: Health Canada warns that the following three unauthorized health products were sold at certain retail stores in British Columbia: Yanshiwang, Jin Kong Fu, and Chong Cao She Bian Zhuang Yang Dan. These product contain undeclared prescription medication.
- Allergy Alert (Netherlands): Jumbo and Super de Boer recall Euro brand natural white biscuits and Euro brand whole wheat biscuits (all packages) due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Allergy Alert (Netherlands): C1000 recalls all Natural white biscuits and whole wheat biscuits, due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Beauvais Foods A/S recalls Glyngøre Tuna in Water (185g; Batch codes SEAE OU TSBBC BIH9 MHTM: 09/2014 THAILAND NO. 2072 and SEAE OU TSBBC BJ49 MHTM: 10/2014 THAILAND NO. 2072; Best before 09/2014 and 10/2014, respectively), because the tuna has an unexplained unusual taste.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Nestle Polska S.A. withdraws Nestle Kaszka ryzowa jablko / Infant rice with apple (180g; Batch code 03.2012. 106103352; best before 01/03/2012), due to elevated levels of cadmium.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): All Bio-Gaudiano brand products have been recalled as a follow-up precaution after Bio-Gaudiano Olives Stuffed with Almonds were found to be the source of an outbreak of botulism in Finland.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection urges the public not to collect and eat wild mushrooms from parks or the countryside, after a suspected food poisoning was reported.
- Chinese Medicine Recall (Hong Kong): Chuan Chiong Co. Ltd. recalls Tong Ren Tang & Chuan Chiong, Qing Yin Wan (Batch No. 1010098), due to a quality defect. The recalled product was manufactured in the Mainland.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.