Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Papa Cantella’s Inc. (Vernon, CA) recalls Cantella’s Fully Cooked Chicken Sausage with Apples (16 oz. pkg; Lot #10191100 or 10191100R; Sell/freeze by 12/03/2011 or 12/06/2011), because of misbranding and the presence of undeclared walnuts. The recalled product was distributed to retail establishments in Southern California.
- Allergy Alert: Silva Sausage Co. (Gilroy, CA) recalls Silva Sausage English Brand Bangers (10-lb cases; Est 6086; Item #10362; Lot codes 112271, 112911 or 112980), because of misbranding and the presence of undeclared wheat. The recalled product was distributed for institutional use in Livermore and Sacramento, CA.
- Food Safety Recall: Trans-Ocean Products, Inc. (Bellingham, WA) recalls transOCEAN Wild Alaska Sockeye Smoked Salmon (4-oz vacuum pkg; Lot #1280W and 1293W), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled smoked salmon was distributed to Demoulas Marketbasket in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, and to Giant Eagle supermarkets in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland and Ohio. The contamination was reported to Trans-Ocean by the manufacturer of the product.
- Food Safety Recall: Milford Bay Trout Farm Inc. (Bracebridge, ON) recalls Milford Bay Trout Farm Inc. Smoked Trout Filet (vacuum packed; various weights; All lot codes and best before dates), because the product may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled Smoked Trout was distributed in Ontario.
- Food Spoilage Recall: Les Aliments Aquafuschia recalls Aquafuchsia Organic Alfalfa Sprouts and Aquafuchsia “Le Classique” Alfalfa Sprouts (125g pkg; Lot code #318), due to microbiological spoilage. The recalled alfalfa sprouts were distributed in Quebec and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Halewood International Ltd. withdraws Julienas Cru de Beaujolais 2010 Vintage (75cl; Batch #L10 216), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Guy Anderson Wines Ltd. withdraws Church Mouse Falanghina (2008 and 2009; 75cl bottles; all batches) due to the presence of undeclared sulfites.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Food Safety Authority of Ireland advises consumers of a labeling error on Supervalu Supreme Luxury Christmas Pudding (908g; all batches; all best before dates). Egg and butter are declared on the list of ingredients, but not in the allergy advice, while mustard is listed in the allergy advice but not on the ingredient list.
- Allergy Alert (Sweden): Scans withdraws Scans Sausage (1000g pkgs; thin skins; best before 25/12), because the product may contain traces of undeclared gluten, lactose, peas, milk, soy and egg protein.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): The Co-operative recalls British Beef Roasting Joint (1.1kg to 2.2kg; Use by dates 22 December 2011 and 23 December 2011), because the products should have been labeled with the use by date 5 December 2011.
- Food Safety Alert (UK): The Food Standards Agency reports that 76% of oysters tested from UK oyster growing beds contained norovirus. In 52% of the positive samples, the norovirus was detected at low levels.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Delhaize Belgique expands its earlier recall of Delhaize brand Tiroler Salami en tranches (150g pkgs) to include the following four additional best before dates: 04/12/2011, 11/12/2011, 18/12/2011 and 25/12/2011. The recalled sliced salami may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Inco Kødopskaering recalls various minced meat products due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Finpesca S.r.l. recalls Alici/Anchovies (Lot 1/117410) due to the presence of parasites.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): GlaxoSmithKline Limited recalls Eye Mo 36 Eye Drops 0.05% (Batch No. X012FA-1), due to the presence of fine crystals on the bottle.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): APT Pharma Limited recalls Glupozide 80mg tablet (Lot H00406; manufactured by APT Pharma (China) Co. Ltd in Guangdong), after a user found a plastic fragment embedded in one of the tablets.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.