Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Ocean Spray recalls Original Flavor Craisins® Dried Cranberries (5, 10, & 48-oz pkgs, and bulk sweetened dried cranberries in 10-lb pkgs; various best by dates, followed by the letter “M”), due to the possible presence of very small hair-like metal fragments in the products. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of Best By Dates.The recalled dried cranberries were sold in various retail supermarkets, including Giant Eagle and Sams Club.
- Food Safety Recall: Marché Transatlantique Inc. (Montreal, QC) recalls Domaine de l’Oulivie brand Lucque Olives de Pays (340g net wt bottle; Product of France; UPC 3 760121 190437; all codes), because the product may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled olives were distributed in Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Matperud Apiary Inc. recalls Liquid Wildflower Honey (500g, 1kg, 2kg, 3kg, 5kg, 20kg; no identifying codes) and Creamed Wildflower Honey (500g, 1kg; no identifying codes), due to the presence of drug residues. The recalled honey was distributed in Ontario.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Eighty guests at a fundraising dinner developed food poisoning – dizziness, fever and vomiting – after consuming chicken paté. The fundraiser was held at Salford Lowry Hotel in Manchester, England. Victims were found to be suffering from Campylobacter infections, according to a report in the Mail Online. The UK Health Protection Agency is investigating the incident.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Philippines): Fourteen students at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines main campus were taken to hospital due to food poisoning last Wednesday (November 23rd), according to an article in Manila Standard Today. The 14 students began vomiting shortly after eating lunch at the school canteen. The students reported dizziness and nausea after eating the fried rice.
- Food Safety Enforcement (China): Henan Province in Central China has penalized 77 government employees and 36 other individuals following a scandal involving clenbuterol-tainted pork that was reported last March. The punishments range from probation to reprieved death penalties.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Alert (St. Maarten): St. Maarten’s Nature Foundation warns the public that nearly half of the local lionfish contain a naturally occuring biotoxin that causes ciguatera poisoning.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.