Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Berk Lombardo (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Berk Lombardo Chicken Breast Stuffed Broccoli & Cheese (4 x 6oz pkgs), Berk Lombardo Chicken Breast with rib meat Cordon Bleu Breaded (4 x 6oz pkgs), and Berk Lombardo Stuffed Chicken Breast Kiev (4 x 6oz pkgs), because the uncooked frozen, stuffed chicken products may contain one or more of the following undeclared ingredients: eggs, milk, monosodium glutamate or soy. The recalled products all bear the establishment number P-19034 inside the USDA mark of inspection and were sold directly to individual households throughout Long Island, NY.
- Allergy Alert: Caribbean Rum Balls (St. Thomas, VI) recalls Caribbean brand Rum Balls (4, 8 & 12-oz pkgs), because the product contains undeclared wheat, coconut, milk, eggs and sodium bisulfite (a preservative). The recalled Rum Balls were distributed locally in retail stores and also through mail orders.
- Allergy Alert: Maxipan Bakery Corp (West Hempstead, NY) recalls Semita De Pina (8-oz pkgs), because the product may contain undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed in New York and New Jersey.
- Food Safety Recall: King & Prince Seafood Corp. (Brunswick, GA) recalls Nova Style Cold Smoked Salmon, Sable Fish Lox, Salmon Sushi Fillets, and Salmon Trim (Date codes: 1277W, 1278W, 1279W, 1280W, 1281W, 1283W, 1284W, 1285W, 1286W, 1287W, 1290W, 1291W, 1292W, 1293W, 1294W, 1297W, 1298W, 1299W, 1300W, 1303W, 1306W, 1311W, 1312W, 1313W, and 1314W), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of recalled brands, which were distributed nationwide through brokers and foodservice distributors beginning on October 4, 2011. Although all of the products were originally distributed frozen, they may be sold refrigerated at the retail level.
- Food Safety Recall: Four Star Import & Distribution Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Noya Brand Boyal Dry Fish (Product of Bangladesh; 200g plastic bags; Best before Dec 2012), because the product was not properly eviscerated prior to processing, and may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum spores.
- Food Safety Recall: Four Star Import & Distribution Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Munia Brand Churi Dry Fish (Product of Bangladesh; 200g plastic bags; Best before April 2013), because the product was not properly eviscerated prior to processing, and may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum spores.
- Food Safety Recall: Cozy Vale Creamery (Tenino, WA) recalls unpasteurized whole and skim milk and cream (Sell by dates of Dec 6, 2011 or earlier), because the products may be contaminated with toxin-producing E. coli. Three illnesses have been reported in Cozy milk customers since August, according to an article in The Olympian. The recalled raw milk products were sold at the on-farm store in Tenino and some retail locations.
- Food Safety Recall: Giant Eagle reports the recall of Valu Time Pumpkin (UPC 1122506619; All lot codes), because the product “does not meet quality standards.”
- Food Safety Alert: An earlier recall of Woody’s brand alcoholic beverages (330mL bottles) has been expanded to include all lot codes of the following products, because the products may contain glass fragments: Appletini Apple Vodka Cooler, Orangetini Orange Vodka Cooler, Pomtini Vodka & Pomegranate Cooler, Woody’s Blackcurrant & Apple Alcoholic Vodka Beverage, Woody’s Blueberry, Woody’s Light Orange Alcoholic Vodka Beverage (99 Orange), Woody’s Light Raspberry Alcoholic Vodka Beverage (99 Raspberry), Woody’s Mexican Lime Alcoholic Vodka Beverage, Woody’s Party Pack (mixed flavors), Woody’s Pineapple and Grapefruit Alcoholic Vodka Beverage, Woody’s Pink Grapefruit Alcoholic Vodka Beverage, Woody’s Refresher Original,Woody’s Sasparilla Original Alcoholic Beverage, and Woody’s Vodka Cola Original Alcoholic Beverage. The products were distributed Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Yukon Territories, and may have been sold nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Ready-Bake Foods Inc. (Mississauga, ON) recalls Bake At Home® D’Italiano Garlic Rolls (405g; Date codes 199M through to 241M), because the oven-ready plastic food trays can meld when the product is baked in the oven at temperatures higher than 400°F. The recalled products were sold from August 2011 to November 2011.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: Costco Canada recalls Kirkland Signature by Borghese Cosmetic Brush Set (Costco Item #517737), because some of the brushes may contain yeast. The products were manufactured by International Beauty Products (Pine Brook, NJP and were sold in Costco warehouses in Canada between August 2011 and October 2011.
- Allergy Alert (Netherlands): DEEN Supermarkets recalls DEEN Chicken Cordon Bleu (2 pieces/pkg; Expiry date 12/01/2011), due to the presence of undeclared peanuts. Due to an error, the packages may contain schnitzel fill with peanut sauce.
- Allergy Alert (FInland): Atria Finland Oy recalls Atria Kulinaari Pork Palvifilee (175g pkg; Expiry dates 23/11/2011, 28/11/2011, 11/30/2011, 12/05/2011, 07/12/2011, and 12/08/2011) because the product contains undeclared hydrolyzed soy protein.
- Allergy Alert (Sweden): Be-Ji Oat Balls Ltd. withdraws Chocolate and Old Fashioned Oat Balls (Best before 06.01.2012), because they may contain traces of undeclared milk protein.
- Allergy Alert (Sweden): ICA withdraws ICA Asia and Euro Shopper brands of noodles (85g pkgs; All best before dates; various flavors), because the noodles contain undeclared milk protein.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Flex Pack Industry recalls Villaverde brand toasted pine nuts (1kg pkg; Best before January 2012), because the product contains aflatoxin above the allowable limit.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): IGOS A/S recalls Pleasure Jam Blueberry Jam (Batch L778, Best before 09.10.12; Batch L463, Best before 04.01.13), due to mold growth on the surface of the jam.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1687): Mercury in frozen precooked tuna from Colombia; distributed to Italy.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.1688): Didecyldimethylammonium chloride in grapefruit seed extract from Italy; distributed to Finland and Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1689): Salmonella spp. in minced pork and turkey meat from Poland; distributed to Lithuania.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.