Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Diamond Crystal Brands Inc. (Savannah, GA) recalls GFS® Sugar (12-oz; Lot G293 B), because the containers were inadvertently filled with non-dairy coffee creamer. The items were shipped in 24-can cases labeled GFS® non-dairy coffee creamer.
- Food Safety Recall Update: California Department of Public Health posts list of retailers in California who were supplied with Romaine lettuce recalled by Ready Pac Foods, Inc. due to potential contamination with E. coli O157:H7. California supermarkets selling the recalled lettuce include Safeway, Boney’s, Harvest Ranch, Jonathan’s La Jolla, Stater Brothers, Vons/Pavillions and Supervalu/Albertsons.
- Allergy Alert: Cuisine Pasta Casareccia inc (Montreal, QC) recalls Pesto Rosso al Pomodoro, because it contains undeclared parmesan cheese.
- Allergy Alert: Fresh Direct Foods Ltd. recalls Get Fresh Veggie Cup (185g; All best before dates up to and including 11NO23), due to the presence of undeclared egg and milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Cuisine Pasta Casareccia inc. (Montreal, QC ) recalls Pesto Classico Genovese (glass jars sold up to and including November 16th), because the pesto may not be safe for human consumption.
- Food Safety Recall: Ginger Beef Choice Ltd. (Calgary, AB) expands its earlier recall of ready-to-eat products, because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Some of the products were distributed in bulk and sold from clerk-service counters at grocery stores. The recalled products (please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list) were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Krone GmbH & Co. KG recalls Vodka AntiVirus Premium Quality, Premium Vodka Cosmos and V24 Original Vodka (1.0, 0.7, 0.2 and 0.1 liters; All batches), because the vodka contains measurable quantities of methanol.
- Outbreak Alert Update (UK): A third case of E. coli O157 illness has been linked to the Tir na n-Og nursery in Bangor.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1675): Mercury in vacuum-packed slices of sword fish from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1676): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled smoked salmon from Poland, with raw material from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1679): Aldicarb in pineapples from South Africa, via the Netherlands; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1680): Aflatoxins in pine nuts from Pakistan, packaged in Denmark, via Germany; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1681): Cadmium in frozen spinach from Belgium; distributed to Austria, Belgium, Germany and Greece.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1682): Unauthorized sulphite in canned coconut milk from Thailand; distributed to Cyprus and Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (India): Six infants who live at the Shishu Gruha orphanage in Hanamkonda have been admitted to hospital for symptoms of food poisoning. Shishu Gruha is the only government-run children’s home for 0-6 year old orphans and abandoned children in Warangal, and is run directly by the district woman and child development agency.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected food poisoning incidents involving a total of seven patrons of a restaurant in Yau Tsim Mong district. The patients developed abdominal pain and diarrhea about three to 10 hours after dining at the restaurant. All seven people are in stable condition.
- Contact Lens Safety Recall Update (Hong Kong and Singapore): Oculus Optical (H.K.) Co., Ltd recalls FreshKon Airis 1-Month contact lenses, imported into Hong Kong from Singapore. These CooperVision lenses are reported to have the same defect – a silicone oil residue – as the Avaira contact lenses that have been recalled by the manufacturer.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Contact Lens Safety Recall (Brazil): CooperVision do Brasil Ltda recalls Avaira® Sphere contact lenses, due to the presence of a silicone oil residue. Please navigate to the list of affected lot numbers.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.