Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Pet Food Safety Alert: FDA is warning pet owners that chicken jerky products for dogs (also sold as chicken tenders, strips or treats) may be associated with illness in dogs. In the last 12 months, FDA has seen an increase in the number of complaints it received of dog illnesses associated with consumption of chicken jerky products imported from China. FDA advises consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs that may occur within hours to days of feeding the products: decreased appetite; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; increased water consumption and/or increased urination.
- Food Safety Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning the public not to consume the Richardson’s Farm Market brand Pasteurized Apple Cider (1L plastic jugs; sold from November 5 to 9, 2011), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The product was sold at Richardson’s Farm Market in Dunnville, ON and Hagersville Farmer’s Market in Hagersville, ON.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Krone GmbH & Co. KG recalls Excellent Original Vodka V 24 (1L bottle; Lot identification unknown), due to an elevated methanol content.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): NORMA Lebensmittelfilialbetrieb GmbH & Co.KG recalls Harvest Crown Gooseberries in syrup (680g glass jars; 365g drained weight; Best before 31/12/2014; Lot ID ISBCE0918600 CS: 157), due to the presence of thorns.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Kos Delicatessen recalls Schwiegemuttertod Spicy Seasonings (50ml jar; Best before December 2012), due to the presence of excessive levels of capsaicin.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1659): Salmonella in advent calendar containing chocolate figurines from Germany, manufactured in Romania; distributed to Germany.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1661): Undeclared milk ingredient in gnocchi to fry from Italy; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1662): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1663): Dimethoate in beans with pods from Vietnam; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1664): Bacillus cereus in dried black mushrooms from Vietnam; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1666): Cadmium in chilled anchovy fillets from Peru; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1667): Salmonella in parsley/Ngo Gai from Vietnam; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1668): Salmonella in morning glory from Thailand; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1669): Escherichia coli O103 (stx1, eae) in frozen boneless lamb cuts from Uruguay; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1670): Salmonella spp. in cooked shrimps from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1671): Thorns in canned gooseberries in syrup from Germany; distributed to Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1672): Cadmium in baby food – infant rice with apple from Poland; distributed to Belgium, Poland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1673): Salmonella spp. in vacuum packed meat preparation from Belgium; distributed to Belgium, France and Luxembourg.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.