Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Maumee Valley Vending Company recalls Buffalo Chicken Wedge Sandwiches containing cheese (CLF103; Expiry 11/21; $1.85), because milk was not listed among the ingredients on the label. The recalled product was distributed to office vending machines in Ohio and Indiana.
- Food Safety Alert: The California Department of Public Health warns consumers not to eat the following four types of candy imported from India, after the agency found unacceptable levels of lead in these candies: Jyoti Indian Sweets Bonbons Indiens Sugar Rewdi, Hans Sugar Rewari, Punjab Bazaar Rewari Gur Jaggery, and Punjab Bazaar Sweet Rewdi. Distributors of the imported candies are working with the state to remove the products from the marketplace.
- Food Safety Recall Update: United Natural Foods, Inc. corrects its previously announced recall of Gentes Foods Gordita Black Bean Tortillas (10-oz; UPC 618032102021) to revise the date code from 12 7 11 to 11 6 11. The recall was initiated because the product may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum, due to a lack of temperature control during distribution.
- Food Safety Alert: FDA is warning consumers not to eat Loyd Grossman Korma Sauce (350mL jars; Batch code 1218R; Sell by date February 2013). Premier Foods, the UK distributor of the product recalled this batch of sauce after it was linked to two cases of botulism in Scotland. While the product is not believed to be distributed in the USA, consumers may have purchased it over the Internet.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that the Salmonella Enteritidis outbreak that was linked to contaminated Turkish Pine Nuts is over. In all, 43 individuals in 5 states were infected with the outbreak strain. Two patients were hospitalized.
- Allergy Alert: Supermarché Serge Fleurent inc. (IGA Extra, Granby, QC) recalls the following products due to the presence of undeclared soy and sesame: Pâté chinois maison, Parfait granola, Sandwich grillé QE/BA/FRO, Tourtière maison, and Ragout de boulettes.
- Food Safety Recall: The Liquor Control Board of Ontario recalls the following alcoholic vodka beverages (330mL bottles) after detecting glass particles in some bottles: Orangetini Orange Vodka Cooler 4-pack, Pomtini Vodka & Pomegranate Cooler 4-pack, Woody’s Blackcurrant & Apple 4-pack, Woody’s Light Orange 4-pack, Woody’s Pink Grapefruit 4-pack, Woody’s Refresher 4-pack, Woody’s Light Raspberry 4-pack, Woody’s Vodka Cola 4-pack, Woody’s Sasparilla 4-pack, and Woody’s Party Pack (mixed flavours) 12-pack.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Bleiker’s Smokehouse recalls Bleiker’s Traditional Oak Smoked Scottish Salmon (Batch #55x; Use by 23 November 2011), due to high levels of Listeria monocytogenes found in one retail pack.
- Outbreak Alert Update (UK): A third child has been admitted to hospital in Glasgow with symptoms of botulism. The child is a sibling of the other two botulism victims whose illness is thought to be linked to Loyd Grossman Korma sauce, made by Premier Foods in Suffolk, UK.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): The Tir na n-Og nursery in Bangor has been closed after a child and an adult with links to the nursery were diagnosed with E. coli O157.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Vietnam): More than 100 tonnes of chicken feet imported from India by Quang Ninh Seafood Processing and Exporting Ltd. Co. were found by the Ministry of Agriculture’s Quality Control department to be spoiled and containing microorganisms in excess of food safety standards. The meat carried no indication of production date, expiry date, or origin. The importer did not respond to government requests for a meeting, and the spoiled meat was removed from the port area without government permission. The Vietnam Customs Administration has been asked to determine the current location of the spoiled chicken feet.
Australia and New Zealand
- Contact Lens Safety Recall (Australia): CooperVision Australia Pty Ltd. recalls Avaira (enfilcon A) Sphere Contact Lenses, also marketed under the brand names Clear Choice Premium Plus 14 Day Sphere, Prevue Platinum Sphere, ProActive Premium Sphere, VisionPlus Fortnightly Sphere, Softview Fortnightly Plus Sphere, See and SAve Premium 2 Week Sphere, Trio2 Premium 2 Week Sphere, Ascend Evolve Sphere, Betaview 2 Weekly Sphere, and Easyvision elite fortnightly Sphere. The recalled contact lenses have been found to be contaminated with a silicone oil residue.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.