Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets warns consumers not to eat “Salted Smoked Herring” sold by Juncalito Abajo Meat Corp., d/b/a Associated (Brooklyn, NY) and distributed by P West In Food Inc. (Brooklyn, NY), because the uneviscerated product may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum spores.
- Food Safety Recall: The J.M. Smucker Company recalls Smucker’s® Natural Peanut Butter Chunky (16-oz jars; UPC 5150001701; Production Codes 1307004 & 1308004; Best if used by August 3, 2012 and August 4, 2012), because the peanut butter may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled product was distributed in Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia, and was sold between November 8 and 17, 2011 in stores belonging to Buehler’s Fresh Foods, Copps, Mariano’s Fresh Market, Metro Market, Pick’n Save, Price Chopper, Target, Tops Friendly Markets, and Walmart. The recalled peanut butter may also have been available in other grocery stores. Please check your pantry and discard or return any recalled product.
- Food Safety Recall: Ready Pac Foods, Inc. (Irwindale, CA) recalls bagged salad products containing Romaine lettuce (Use by date November 18, 2011), because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled salad products were shipped to Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, Texas and Washington, and include the following: Ready Pac Caesar Romaine, 10-oz; Ready Pac Santa Fe Caesar Complete Salad, 9.25-oz; Ready Pac Classic Caesar Complete Salad, 10-oz; Ready Pac Bella Romaine, 10-oz; Dining In Classic Caesar Salad Kit, 10-oz; Raley’s Caesar Romaine, 10-oz; Trader Joe’s Romaine Salad, 10-oz; Trader Joe’s Very American Salad, 16-oz; Safeway Farms Caesar Romaine, 10-oz; Safeway Farms Hearts of Romaine, 9-oz; Safeway Farms Complete Caesar Supreme, 10-oz; and Safeway Farms Complete Southwestern Ranch, 10.25-oz. The recalled salad products were sold by stores belonging to the following supermarket chains: Safeway (Safeway, Carrs, Pavilions, Pak ‘N Save, Randalls, Tom Thumb and Vons in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Arizona, Montana, South Dakota, California, Nevada, Texas, Colorado, Nebraska, Washington, Hawaii, New Mexico, and Wyoming), Albertsons (Southern California and Nevada), and Trader Joe’s (Arizona, California, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon and Washington), and may also have been available in other grocery stores. Please check your refrigerator and discard or return any recalled product.
- Contact Lens Safety Recall: CooperVision expands its worldwide recall of Avaira contact lenses to include Avaira Sphere contact lenses. The recall was initiated after silicone oil residue was found on some Avaira Sphere lenses.
- Food Safety Recall: Boucherie A.G.A. inc. (Montreal, QC) recalls Saucisse cacciatore douce and Saucisse cacciatore forte (all product sold up to and including 2 November, 2011), because the sausages were prepared in a manner that presents a risk to consumer health.
- Food Safety Recall: The Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation recalls all Woody’s Vodka Coolers (330ml bottles) after glass was detected in some of the bottles in Manitoba and Ontario. The recalled Woody’s brand flavors include Sasparilla, Pink Grapefruit, Orangetini, Pomtini and Refresher.
- Food Safety Recall: NB Liquor expands its public recall of Woody’s Mexican Lime Alcoholic Vodka Beverage to include the following additional flavors and brands (single and 4-pack formats): Orangetini Orange Vodka Cooler, Pomtini Vodka & Pomegranate Cooler, Woody’s Blackcurrant & Apple, Woody’s Light Orange, Woody’s Pink Grapefruit, Woody’s Refresher, Woody’s 99 Raspberry (Light), Woody’s Vodka Col, Woody’s Sasparilla, and Woody’s Party Pack (mixed flavours) after glass particles were detected in some bottles.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1652): Triazophos in pomelos from China; distributed to Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1653): Mold growth in chilled sliced air dried ham from Germany; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1654): Salmonella in bean sprouts from the Netherlands; distributed to Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1656): Listeria monocytogenes in cream pate from Belgium; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1657): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled sliced smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1658): Nitrofuran furazolidone in frozen peeled black tiger prawns from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Contact Lens Safety Recall (Hong Kong): CooperVision Hong Kong recalls all Avaira and BioComfort XO contact lenses, because of the presence of silicone oil residue which may cause hazy vision or discomfort, severe eye pain or even eye injuries requiring medical treatment.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Nycomed (Hong Kong) Limited recalls Omnaris Nasal Spray, 50mcg (Batch #137930), due to pinholes or leakage in some pouches. This is part of a worldwide recall initiated by the German manufacturer, Nycomed Gmbh.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.