Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Raw milk products produced by Organic Pastures (Fresno County, CA) are the subject of a statewide recall and quarantine order, after exposure to the dairy’s raw milk was linked epidemiologically to five cases of E. coli O157:H7 in the state. All five victims were children; three were hospitalized with hemolytic uremic syndrome. The quarantine and recall cover all Organic Pastures raw dairy products, except for cheese that has been aged a minimum of 60 days.
- Food Safety Recall: Ginger Beef Choice Ltd (Est 615; Calgary, AB) recalls Ginger Beef Choice brand Special Combo (1kg pkgs; UPC 6 65075 22980 2; Best before 2011 NOV 28), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled ready-to-eat product was distributed to Costco stores in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- Food Safety Recall: 3903052 Canada Inc. recalls Fromagerie Marie Kadé Halloom Mix Maison – Semi-firm Unripened Cheese (2, 8 & 10-kg) Best before dates from November 3 to November 8, 2011 inclusive; UPC 7 78546 18002 8), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was distributed to the hotel/restaurant/institutional sector in Quebec.
- Contact Lens Safety Recall: CooperVision expands its earlier international recall of contact lenses to include both Encore 100 Toric and Encore 100 Sphere brands. Health Canada is working with the company to identify which products on the Canadian market are affected by the recall. The company has published an international web page where consumers can enter the lot number on their packages to determine whether their contact lenses are affected by the recall.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1647): Fenamiphos in cucumbers from Spain; distributed to Germany.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1648): Salmonella group E in soybean meal from Argentina; distributed to the Czech Republic and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1649): Unauthorized diethanolamine and triethanolamine in mango from Brazil, via Austria; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1651): Mercury in chilled swordfish from France; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to by or consume the slimming product Omine 15, after tests carried out on the product uncover the presence of the banned drug substance sibutramine.
- Outbreak Alert (Indonesia): As many as one half of the national teams competing at the Southeast Asian Games in Indonesia are affected with food poisoning. The outbreak of diarrhea has hit athletes from Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia, among others. The outbreak appears to be linked to food consumed at the dining room of the athlete’s village. The food is supplied by the Aryaduta Hotel in Palembang.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Ayers Rock Trading Pty Ltd. recalls Lotus Brand Tapioca Chips (275g clear plastic bag with yellow label; Product of Malaysia; Expiry 01.12.12), due to higher than usual levels of naturally occurring cyanide in the ingredient cassava. The product was sold through Asian grocery stores in New South Wales.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (New Zealand): Colgate-Palmolive Limited (NZ) recalls Savacol Antiseptic Mouth and Throat Rinse Alcohol Free (all batches) because some of the batches do not fully comply with the microbial quality standards for the product.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.