Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA posts retail distribution list for Broiled Chicken Livers that were recalled by Schreiber Processing Corporation after having been linked to Salmonella illnesses.
- Food Safety Recall: United Natural Foods, Inc. recalls Gentes Foods Gordita Black Bean Tortillas (10-oz; UPC 618032102021; Date code 12 7 11), because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. Only those Tortillas shipped to the following stores are affected by this recall: Safeway #1110 (Salinas, CA), Safeway #2840 (Watsonville, CA), Pak N Save #3116 (S. San Francisco, CA) and Pak N Save #3125 (Emeryville, CA). The risk arises from lack of temperature control during the distribution process.
- Food Safety Recall: Orval Kent Foods recalls Wegmans Mashed Sweet Potatoes (24-oz; Lot code of Use By Nov 18 11 DSA), because the product may contain plastic pieces of unknown origin. The recalled product was sold in the dairy department of Wegmans stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland and Massachusetts between September 22nd and November 9th, 2011.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Keime Incorporated recalls Virility Max dietary supplement (Lot 10090571), after lab analysis by FDA finds sulfoaildenafil (an analog of sildenafil) in the product. Sildenafil is an active ingredient of an FDA approved prescription drug for treating erectile dysfunction, and may cause serious adverse effects in some individuals.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall: Kimberly-Clark recalls Kotex Natural Balance* Security® Unscented Tampons Regular Absorbency (18-count Carton Lot Number AC129321X; 36-count Carton Lot Number AC129325X), because the tampons were manufactured with a raw material contaminated with Enterobacter sakazakii, which may cause vaginal infections, urinary tract infections (UTIs), pelvic inflammatory disease or infections that can be life-threatening. The recalled product was supplied to retail customers between October 29, 2011 and November 2, 2011 in specific Walmart stores in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas; specific Fry’s stores in Arizona; and specific Smith’s stores in Utah and Arizona.
- Allergy Alert: Siprus Foods Inc recalls various Siprus brand and Fruit Farm brand fruit juices due to the presence of undeclared sulphites. Please refer to the recall notice for additional product identification details.
- Food Safety Recall: Dan-D-Foods Ltd. recalls Dan-D-Organic 100% Organic Pitted Prunes (250g; EXP 2012APR14; LOT 11104) due to microbiological spoilage. The recalled product was distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall Update: The New Brunswick Liquor Corporation, the Liquor Control Board of Ontario and the Manitoba Liquor Control Commission recall Woody’s Mexican Lime Alcoholic Vodka Beverage, in both single serve and four-pack format, because the product may contain glass fragments.
- Public Health Alert: Saskatchewan health officials are reminding the public to be attentive to good hand hygiene in order to help prevent the person-to-person spread of Shigella. Since April 2011, Saskatchewan has recorded 48 cases of shigellosis – mostly in children – as compared to the usual annual rate of 10 to 15 cases. Most of the cases have been in central, northern and southeast parts of the province. No specific link to a single food item or event has been identified so far.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Health Protection Scotland urges the public to be aware of the symptoms of botulism as two members of the same family are hospitalized with an illness that is thought likely to be botulism. Both patients are in stable condition. Investigators are looking into possible sources of the two illnesses. Anyone who experiences blurred vision, difficulty swallowing and difficulty speaking should seek immediate medical attention.
- Allergy Alert (Finland, Estonia, Lithuania): Inex Partners Oy reecalls Rainbow mixed dried fruits (500; Product of the Netherlands; Expiry 18.05.2012), because the product contains sulphites above the permitted limit. The product was sold in Finland, Estonia and Lithuania.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Rieber & Son Denmark A/S recalls K-Salad Mayonnaise (400g plastic bottles; Lot L3017985; Best before 03.01.2012), due to the presence of undeclared mustard.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Irma Odense City /Coop Denmark A/S recalls IRMA’s warm/hot liver paté (500g; All dates up to and including November 11, 2011), due to incorrect labeling.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Newdan Food Trading recalls Fresh Turkey Breast (900g; Package date 24/10-2011; Best before 05/11-2011), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Eliza Chocolate Wholesale ApS recalls Chocolatier Nut Bar Milk Chocolate/Dark Chocolate (35g; Best before 17-04-2012), due to the presence of moth larvae.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Sanitarium Health & Wellbeing Company recalls Sanitarium So Good Rice Milk (1-litre carton; Best before 25 March 2012; Batch No. 31206), because the product contains undeclared traces of soy. The recalled product was sold in supermarkets throughout New Zealand.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.