Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Rice-A-Roni recalls Rice-A-Roni Rice Pilaf (10.8-oz family-size boxes; Best before JUL 30 12 B; UPC ending in 43004), because the product contains undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Quirch Foods Co. (Miami, FL) recalls Leslie Leger and Sons Ltd. brand Salted Smoked Split Herring (Produced by Leslie Leger and Sons Ltd., Cap Pele, NB, Canada; all lots) after a routine sample collected at a store by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets found the product to be uneviscerated and, therefore, at risk of Clostridium botulinum contamination. The product was supplied to supermarkets and distributors in Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico and Nassau BF, and also was sold in New York State.
- Food Safety Recall: Badia Spices, Inc. recalls approximately 3,800 lbs of Pine Nuts (Imported from Turkey; 1-oz small plastic bags, Lot #84666; 2-oz small PET bottles, Lot #83184 and 85442), because the pine nuts may be contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis. The recalled pine nuts were sold between Jone 2011 and October 2011 in retail stores – including Publix supermarkets – in Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey.
- Food Safety Recall/Alert: FDA warns the public not to consume Turkish Pine Nuts distributed by Sunrise Commodities (Englewood Cliffs, NJ), after FDA tests confirm the presence of Salmonella on the product. Test are underway to determine whether the Salmonella matches the outbreak strain of Salmonella Enteritidis that has sickened at least 42 people in 5 states. Sunrise Commodities has recalled four lots of implicated product (Warehouse Lot 27963, ID Code PO#: 50165; Warehouse Lot 29628, ID Code PO#: 50558; Warehouse Lot 27713, ID Code PO#: 49595; and Warehouse Lot 27427, ID Code PO#: 50032). The pine nuts were distributed in bulk to various vendors in Florida, New Jersey, New York and Canada.
- Food Safety Alert: FDA warns consumers not to eat any Bio Gaudiano brand Organic Olives Stuffed with Almonds. The imported olives, which have been recalled in the USA by Pure Italian LLC (Watertown, MA), were responsible for two cases of botulism in Finland. Some of the olives may have been sold at SoWa farmers market (South End, MA). In addition, Foodies Fresh Market (Boston, MA), Russo’s (Watertown, MA), and Fresh Choice Supermarket (Framingham, MA) may have repackaged and resold the olives in containers that do not carry the Bio Gaudiano name.
- Food Safety/Outbreak Alert: FDA warns consumers not to eat ASSI brand Individually Quick Frozen Oyster (shucked; 3-lb bags; Better if Used by date 2013.02.232; packed by Central Fisheries Co. Ltd; Shucked date 2011.02.24; Lot #C-110223), after the oysters were found to be contaminated with Norovirus genotypes I and II. Three patrons of a Washington state restaurant became ill with norovirus gastroenteritis after eating the oysters. Korean Farms (Santa Fe Springs, CA) has recalled the frozen oyster meat. The recalled product was shipped to Washington, California, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Idaho and Utah.
- Food Safety Recall: 3903052 Canada Inc. (Boisbriand, QC) recalls Tifco brand Queso Panela Latino Cheese (420g, Lot #102 43, Best before 9 DEC 2011; 1.38kg, Lot #103 43; Best before 9 DEC 2011), because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: David Roberts Food Corporation (Mississauga, ON) recalls certain Sysco brand, David Roberts brand, and unbranded imported pine nuts (Lot 1323), because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled pine nuts were distributed to food service accounts in Ontario and sold at the David Roberts Food Corporation retail store in Mississauga, ON.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Food Safety Recall: Quirch Foods Co. (Miami, FL) recalls Leslie Leger and Sons Ltd. brand Salted Smoked Split Herring (Produced by Leslie Leger and Sons Ltd., Cap Pele, NB, Canada; all lots) after a routine sample collected at a store by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets found the product to be uneviscerated and, therefore, at risk ofClostridium botulinum contamination. The product was supplied to supermarkets and distributors in Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico and Nassau BF, and also was sold in New York State.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.