Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Pure Italian, LLC, in conjunction with Bio Gaudiano, Italy, recalls Bio Gaudiano Organic Olives Stuffed with Almonds (all sizes of glass jars and cans; all production lots), because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. Two adults hospitalized in Finland were diagnosed with botulism after consuming almond stuffed olives produced by Bio Gaudiano lot# H2510X expiration 09/2012. One of the victims died. The recalled product was distributed to Massachusetts retailers, and some of the product (314 mL glass jar; Lot #E0511X; Expiry 05/2013) was sold at the SoWa farmers market in South End, MA.
- Food Withdrawal: The manufacturer has withdrawn Food Club Graham Crumbs (15 oz; Lot #Nov 12 11), Food Club Low Fat Cinnamon Grahams (13 oz) and Food Club Low Fat Grahams (14 oz), because of product rancidity. The recalled products were sold at Food City and Top Food & Drug stores.
- Food Safety Advisory (Hawaii): The Hawai’i State Department of Health Food and Drug Branch has ordered Wong Hon Hin, Inc. farm (Waianae) to destroy and dispose of approximately 800 pounds of fresh green onions after routine sampling detected the presence of Oxamyl, an unapproved pesticide. The farm has been ordered to cease all sale of suspect produce until follow-up testing confirms the absence of pesticide residue.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall Update: Novartis Consumer Health, Inc. recalls certain Excedrin® products, as a result of product mix-ups in these lots. The following list consolidates information posted on the Tops Friendly Markets, Food City, Price Chopper and Buehler’s Fresh Foods web sites: Excedrin Tablets ( UPC 30067203091; Size 100 1N), Excedrin Extra Strength Tablets (UPC 30067203077; Size 250 1N), Excedrin Aspirin Free Tension Cap (UPC 30067204591; Size 100 1N), Excedrin Migraine Caplet (UPC 30067203924; Size 24 1N), Excedrin Tension Headache Caplets (100ct; Lot #10087530; Exp 3/31/2013), Excedrin Extra Strength Tablets (100 ct; Lot #10091817; Exp 5/31/2013), Excedrin Extra Strength Caplets (24 ct), and Excedrin Floorstand ES Migraine with $1 IRC.
- Allergy Alert: Mayrand Limitée (Montréal, QC) recalls Amande chocolate lait, because the product contains undeclared wheat.
- Allergy Alert: Alimentation D.P. Plouffe inc/Metro (Farnham, QC) recalls Côtelette de porc à la diable, due to the presence of undeclared soy, and Salade de macaroni, due to the presence of undeclared egg and possibly sulfites.
- Allergy Alert: Chocolat Belge Heyez Père & Fils Inc. recalls Heyez Chocolat Belge Noir Ébène (50g), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Sobeys Inc. recalls several ground beef products bearing a “Packaged On” date of Oc 31, 11, because the products may contain metal pieces. The recalled ground beef packages were sold only in the Sobeys store located at 961 Bedford Highway, Bedford, NS.
- Food Safety Recall: Clear Bay Fisheries Inc. recalls Clear Bay Fisheries Manila Clams (Lot #10778; Harvest date October 26/11; Harvest Area 15-02), due to possible presence of a marine biotoxin.
- Food Safety Recall: Groupe Alimentaire Miron recalls Minos Greek Liquid Honey (500g; Lot 100913; UPC 5 203985 124708 and 5 203985 120243) due to contamination with a drug residue.
- Food Safety Alert (Sweden): Whitefish from Lake Vänern contain dioxins as four times the permitted limit, and cannot be sold to consumers under current law.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Defco A/S recalls several varieties of Sunday Spreads (70-100g; Package dates 10.10.11 and 11.10.11; Best before 04.11.11 and 05.11.11), because of leaking package seals.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): A/S Nordana recalls Patty shells without lids (Item No. 80050; Lot #L11011033; Best before 11-06-2012) due to mold growth in some packages.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (UK): GABA GmbH and its UK distributor, Colgate-Palmolive (UK) Ltd, recall Colgate Periogard 0.2% Oromucosal Solution – EL (11)A/26 (Chlorhexidine Digluconate; 300ml; Batch Nos. 9196CHG11B, 9197CHG11B, 9198CHG11B, 0103CHG12B, 0103CHG11B, 0104CHG11B, 0155CHG11B, 0158CHG11B, 0158CHG12B, 0250CHG11B, 1068CHG11B, 1069CHG11B, 1236CHG11B, and 1237CHG11B), because microbial contamination with Burkholderia sp. has been detected in some batches. All unexpired batches are being recalled as a precaution.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1546): Insect larvae in almonds from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Advisory (Abu Dhabi): The Food Control Authority has confirmed that Bio Gaudiano olives from Italy (glass jars; Expiry September 2012) were not sold in Abu Dhabi.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.