Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Gardenburger, LLC (Clearfield, UT) recalls Eating Right™ Soy Protein Burgers (4-count, 10-oz carton; UPC 79893 80071; Lot codes NOV 17 12 WT A and NOV 17 12 WT B), because the burgers may contain undeclared milk, due to a packaging error. The recalled frozen burgers were distributed by Lucerne Foods (Pleasanton, CA) and sold in Safeway, Carrs, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Pak ‘N’ Save, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Vons, and Pavilions retail stores nationwide.
- Food Safety Alert: Pennsylvania’s Departments of Agriculture and Health advise consumers and retailers to immediately discard milk purchased from Brunton Dairy (Aliquippa, Beaver County, PA), as a sample of pasteurized, homogenized fat-free milk from the dairy was found to be contaminated with Yersinia enterocolitica. The alert refers to milk with a Sell-by date of Oct 25 or later. Production at the Dairy has been suspended pending the completion of additional testing.
- Food Recall: Food City reports that the manufacturer has recalled Kern’s 8′ No Sugar Added Cherry Pie and Kern’s 8′ No Sugar Added Blueberry Pie. No details are indicated.
- Outbreak Alert: The North Carolina Division of Public Health is investigating 26 cases of E. coli in Wake (14), Sampson (6), Durham (1), Franklin (1), Johnston (1), Orange (1) and Wilson (1) counties. Ten of the cases are confirmed, and 16 are still under investigation. Five people – 4 children and 1 adult – are hospitalized. Twenty-three of the 26 outbreak victims attended the State Fair earlier this month.
- Food Withdrawal: Madrona Specialty Foods withdraws Hannah’s Naturals Halloween Cookies (Costco Item #321233; Best before 2012 JA 13), because some of the cookies have developed mold growth. The Halloween Cookies were sold at Costco Wholesale stores in Western Canada between September 14th and October 8th, 2011.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Bio Gaudiano recalls Organic Olive alle mandorle/Almond-Stuffed Olives (314ml glass jars; all batch codes), due to the risk of Clostridium botulinum contamination and potential development of botulinum toxin.
- Outbreak Alert (Norway): The Food Safety Authority has received a report from the Department of Public Health of three cases of shigellosis in Østfold. The agencies are cooperating to determine whether these cases may be linked to a number of cases reported in Tromsø earlier in October.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.