Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Supreme Meat Purveyors (San Antonio, TX) recalls frozen Carne Guisada (2 x 5-lb bags/cs; Case code of 71087/506004, 500233 or 600100; Produced on various dates from 10/25/10 to 10/19/11), because the products contain undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert: Emporium Packaging & Spice Co (Temple, TX) recalls Ponchatrain Sauce Mix (0.17-lb plastic bag; all lots), because the product may contain undeclared milk and soy. The recalled sauce mix was sold in Temple, Texas through the firm’s retail store.
- Food Recall: Food City advises consumers that Food Club Graham Crumbs, 15-oz pkg has been recalled. No details are available.
- Food Safety Alert: The Texas Department of State Health Services announced that all commercial and recreational harvesting of oysters, clams and mussels in all Texas waters is closed until further notice due to red tide, an algal bloom.
- Outbreak Alert: The North Carolina Division of Public Health and the Wake County Health Department are investigating seven cases of E. coli illnesses, including 6 children. Four people have been hospitalized, and two – both of them children – remain in intensive care.
- Food Safety Recall: Fumoir du Nord (Quebec, QC) recalls Sensations by Compliments brand Smoked Atlantic Salmon (120g pkgs; Best before 11NO25), because the product may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled smoked salmon was sold in Quebec, and in IGA Extra in Edmundston, NB.
- Food Safety Recall: Mannarich Food Inc. (Markham, ON) recalls an extensive list of Mannarich Food Inc. brand and Ocean Chinese Food Products brand vacuum-packed, refrigerated, ready-to-eat fish products (All Best Before dates up to and including December 16, 2011) because the products may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The products were distributed nationally. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products.
- Food Safety Recall: La Siembra Co-operative recalls Camino 55% Dark Chocolate with Almond (100g; Code BBD 23 08 12 and 22 06 12), due to the presence of glass particles.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Les fromageries de Blâmont recalls Munster géromé made from unpasteurized milk (200g; Lot 251, followed by the 6 digits from 237833 to 237839), after Listeria was detected in a sample. The recalled cheese was sold under the brands Reflets de France, Nos régions ont du talent, Auchan Terroir and Val de Weiss in the following grocery chains: Auchan, Leclerc, Carrefour, Cora, Simply Market, Partisans du Goût, Prixbas, A 2Pas et Auchan City.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Naturfleisch GmbH recalls Coarsely minced pork (Foil packaging; Batch #3-18-41; Best before 11/08/2011), after Listeria monocytogenes is found in a sample. The product was distributed in South Thuringia.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Asian Trading recalls Fresh Coriander from Thailand (50g plastic bags; Labeled as “Coriander, TL.1, 50gr Vietnam”), after Salmonella is detected in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Aldi recalls Country Pleasure brand Fresh turkey breast (700g-1100g; Lot #2169433 065401; Best before 13 October 2011; Product of Germany), after Salmonella is detected in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Danish Crown recalls Pork Belly cuts (Retail Package Dates 06.10.2011 to 12.10.2011), after Salmonella is detected in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Royal Biscuit recalls Much More Coconut Tops (210g; Batch 110715; Best before 15.01.2012) due to fermentation.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1501): Diarrhoeic shellfish poisoning toxins in chilled mussels from Italy; distributed to Austria and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1502): Listeria monocytogenes in Ardenner paté from Belgium; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1503): Salmonella in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1504): Defective packaging and mold growth in chorizo sausages from Spain; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1506): Chloramphenicol in chilled lobster from the United States; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Recall (EU #2011.1507): Cadmium in spinach from Belgium; distributed to Belgium and Luxembourg.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Hovid Ltd. recalls Ternolol 100mg Tablets (Batch #AJ12560), after a sample fails a disintegration test.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.