Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market Inc. recalls f&e™ brand fresh bagged Washed Spinach (12 oz; Enjoy by date of OCT 16), after FDA tests confirmed one bag of the spinach to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled spinach was sold in Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market stores in California, Nevada and Arizona.
- Food Safety Recall: American Egg Products (Blackshear, GA) recalls 5-lb cartons of frozen egg product (Lot #272-1; Plant #P 1105), because they may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled frozen egg product was distributed to Georgia and Florida, and sold to three distributors and/or further food manufacturers.
- FDA Enforcement Action: U.S. Marshals, acting at the request of the FDA, seized various food products stored in a warehouse owned by Chetak Chicago LLC, in Streamwood, Ill., on October 17, 2011. FDA initiated the seizure after finding extensive evidence of unsanitary conditions throughout the warehouse during a recent inspection. These conditions included live rodent and birds, rodent carcasses, gnawed product packaging, significant amounts of rodent fecal matter, rodent urine stains, and rodent nesting material.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Beyer Lightning Fish Co. Inc. (Bronx, NY) that a September/October 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 123, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Health Advances USA, Inc. (Chula Vista, CA) that a May 2011 inspection of the company’s facilities revealed serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for dietary supplements. Supplements manufactured at the facility include: Pentrexcilina Citricilina, Duro Neuro Extra Forte, Angin, Angin Xtra Forte, Delgadex, Desin-Flanex 850, Super Sleeper, Super Complejo B, Colesstol 200, Delgadex, Radiaxina, and M-Stane.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Old Point Packing, Inc. (Newport News, VA) that a June 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 123, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Jansen’s Sweet Sinsations, Inc. (Mason, OH) that a June 2011 inspection of the company’s facility revealed improper labeling and a significant violation of the Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation .
- Allergy Alert: Costco Canada advises its customers that Handi Foods Ltd (Weston, ON) has recalled Handi brand 100 calories Multigrain Bagels (Fresh or frozen; all lot codes and best before dates), due to the presence of sunflower seeds that were not declared on the French label. The recalled bagels were sold in Costco stores in Ontario and Quebec.
- Allergy Alert: Comptoir B.M. (Granby, QC) recalls prepared sandwiches, entrées, wraps and brownies, (see recall notice for list of products), due to the presence of undeclared eggs, soy, milk, wheat and/or sulfites.
- Allergy Alert: Puresource Inc. recalls NOW Brewer’s Yeast (10 grain) Tablets (200 tablets/bottle; Lots #1401411, 1365681 and 1343111), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Food Recall: Loblaw Companies Ltd. recalls No Name Potato and Bacon Perogies (1kg; Lot code 2012 OC 06), due to unspecified “non-harmful” extraneous material contamination.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Dorset Cereals withdraws Dorset Cereals Gingerbread Hearty Porridge (420g; Best before April 2012 and May 2012), because the product contains undeclared wheat.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Aunt Bessie’s Ltd recalls Aunt Bessie’s Scrumptious Bramley Apple Crumble family size (500g; Best before End of January 2013), because there may be small pieces of plastic on the top surface of the crumble. The product was sold only in Farmfoods stores after 21 October 2011.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Landfleischerei Dörnfeld GmbH recalls coarsely minced pork/matured Rohwursterzeugnis sausages (140g; produced during the 41st Calendar week), after Salmonella Agona is found in a sample. The sausages were sold only through company-owned stores and vehicles in Saalfeld-Rudolstadt.
- Food Safety Recall (Germany): Lichtenberger Fleisch- und Wurstproduktion GmbH recalls Fresh Ham and Onion Sausage (330g pkgs; Lot #L 390 434; Best before 10/23/2011), after microbial contaminants are found in a sample.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (UK): Gaudiano Organic Olives Stuffed with Almonds (Product of Italy; 314ml glass jars; Best before date of 09/2012) have been withdrawn from sale in the UK after two people in Helsinki, Finland who consumed the product were diagnosed with botulism. Forty jars from the implicated batch were distributed to Greencity Wholefoods of Glasgow in September 2010, and were resold to a number of smaller retailers and caterers. None of the affected batch remains on store shelves, but some consumers may still have the product in their pantries. Anyone who purchased this product should discard it.
- Outbreak Alert (Finland/Italy): Italian health authorities have suspended all operations at Società Cooperativa Agricola G.M.G. a r.l. dei F.lli Gaudiano, S.P. 65 – 71042 Cerignola after being advised of two cases of botulism associated with – and the finding of botulinum toxin in – Gaudiano Organic Olives Stuffed with Almonds (Batch H2510X), and have seized various canned vegetables produced by the company. Investigations are underway to determine the source of the contamination. Consumers are advised not to eat the product.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Alert (Netherlands): Health authorities have ordered the removal of two hair gels from sale, because they contain high levels of dioxane, which is prohibited in cosmetic products in the EU.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1491): Listeria monocytogenes in cheese from France; distributed to Belgium, France, Germany and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1492): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1493): Salmonella in fenugreek leaves from India, via the United Kingdom; distributed to Austria, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, the Netherlands, and Spain.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1494): Undeclared gluten in pork and apricot coarse paté from Belgium; distributed to Gibraltar and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1495): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Thailand; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2011.1498): Migration of bisphenol A from plastic nursing bottles from Germany; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1499): Nitrofuran furazolidone in frozen raw shrimps from China; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1500): Excessive sulphite in frozen shrimps from Tunisia; distributed to Italy.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Department of Health warns the public not to buy or consume SlimEasy Herbs Capsules, because the product contains the banned drug ingredients sibutramine and phenolphthalein.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Kerry Pinnacle Pty Ltd. recalls Choc Cherry Slice and Choc Chip Flapjack Slice (500g plastic flo wrap – 12 Pack; multiple best before dates), due to the presence of undeclared egg and sulphites. The recalled product was sold in Coles Supermarkets in NSW, VIC, QLD and TAS between 17 October and 25 October 2011.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.