Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: General Mills recalls Chocolate flavor Fiber One 90-Calorie Chewy Bars (5-count boxes; Better If Used By 19MAY2012BV), because a packaging error may have resulted in the presence of undeclared peanuts.
- Food Safety Recall: Larry Schultz Organic Farm recalls Lunds & Byerly’s Organic, Kowalski’s Organic, and Larry Schultz Organic Farm brands of organic shell eggs due to possible contamination with Salmonella Entertitidis. The eggs are linked epidemiologically to six cases of Salmonella Enteritidis in Minnesota. The recalled eggs were distributed to restaurants, grocery stores, food wholesalers and foodservice companies in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of grocery stores where the eggs were sold.
- Food Safety Recall: Taylor Farms Retail Inc. recalls various salad blends after a random test by the Washington Department of Agriculture finds Salmonella in a sample of packaged spinach. The recalled products include: 10-oz bags of Fresh Selections Hearts of Romaine, Leafy Romaine, Field of Greens and Romaine Blend (Best by 10-18-11); HEB Spring Mix (5-oz bag; Best by 10-20-11), Marketside Fresh Spinach (10-oz bag; Guaranteed Delicious by 10-21-11), Caesar Salad Kit (14.6-oz bag; Guaranteed Delicious by 10-19-11), Asian Salad Kit (15-oz bag; Guaranteed Delicious by 10-19-11), Southwest Salad Kit (15-oz bag; Guaranteed Delicious by 10-19-11), Premium Romaine (9-oz bag; Guaranteed Delicious by 10-19-11), and Premium Romaine Family (18-oz bag; Guaranteed Delicious by 10-19-11), and Taylor Farms Field Greens (8-oz bag; Best If Used By 10-20-11). The recalled salad blends were distributed in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Puerto Rico, and sold in various supermarkets, including HEB, Walmart, and the following Kroger stores: Fred Meyer, King Soopers, City Market, Food4Less, FoodsCo, Ralphs, Fry’s and QFC stores.
- Food Safety Recall: ITFC Importers & Distributors recalls (no English brand name) Classic Marshmallow (500g) and Sweets Cherry (200g), due to the presence of unspecified chemical additives. The brand name is shown in Ukranian only on the package.
- Allergy Alert: Sandwell Foods recalls Halal World lamb sausages, Halal World beef sausages, Halal World Spicy lamb burgers and Halal World Spicy beef burgers (Use by 21 October 2011), due to the possible presence of undeclared wheat gluten, soy, sulphites, celery and mustard as a result of incorrect labeling.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Carrefour recalls Rillettes de Canard/Minced Duck Spread (180g; Lot #096C1 and E096E2; Best if used by 06/04/2015), due to the possible presence of glass particles.
- Outbreak Alert (Estonia): An outbreak of hepatitis A infections has been detected in Viljandi County, Estonia. Between August 4th and October 3rd, 66 cases have been confirmed in the county. The modes of transmission are thought to be environmental exposure and person-to-person transmission. A case-control study is in the planning stages to identify possible common risk factors.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.