Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Nassau Candy Distributors recalls Nancy Adams Classics Mini S’Mores (5.5 oz/155g; Manufacturing code I1119 or I1120), because they may contain undeclared peanuts (some bags of peanut clusters may have been packed into the S’Mores boxes by mistake). The recalled candies were sold through retailers nationwide.
- Allergy Alert: Domega NY International Co. Ltd. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Dried Dates (12 oz/340g plastic bag; Product of China; no production code), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites. The recalled dates were distributed nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Fair Oaks Dairy recalls Fair Oaks Royal Blue Cheese (1/3 to 1/2 lb packages), because the cheese may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was sold on or after September 25, 2011at the Fair Oaks Dairy store in Northwest Indiana, central Indiana, and through distributors to several other stores in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio.
- Food Safety Recall: USDA releases retail distribution list for ready-to-eat seasoned beef and shredded pork products recalled by E-Z Shop Kitchens, Inc.
- Food Recall: Smith Dairy recalls Smith’s 2% gallon milk (Yellow jug; Lot code 11/01/11). Notice posted by Buehler’s Fresh Foods. No reason given for recall.
- FDA Enforcement Action: U.S. Marshals, acting at the request of the FDA, seized various food products stored in a warehouse owned by Chetak Chicago LLC, in Streamwood, Ill., on October 17, 2011. The products were seized under a warrant issued by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. The FDA initiated the seizure after finding extensive evidence of unsanitary conditions throughout the warehouse during a recent inspection. The seized goods include peanuts, flour, rice and other food products stored in packaging susceptible to rodent infestation.
- Allergy Alert: Dorgel Ltd. recalls Dorgel Gelato-Lemon (1.65L; Code #11080), due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Allergy Alert: Marché Badre inc, (Montréal, QC) recalls semi-lean ground beef and Moroccan Kafta (kebab), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites.
- Allergy Alert (Belgium): NV O’Cool recalls Contadina Yoghurt Cake (400g; Lot #12911; Best by 30/11/2011; Product of Italy), due to the presence of undeclared soy.
Australia and New Zealand
- Medical Device Safety Recall (Australia): Ultra Suppliers Pty Ltd. recalls Oto-Ease® Ear Lubricant (supplied between 01 May 2011 and 07 October 2011), because some bottles of the lubricant may be contaminated with bacteria. The recalled product is also sold under the name Oto-Ease® Earmold and hearing Aid Lubricant.
- Health Alert (South Australia): Lyell McEwin Hospital is offering precautionary screening to 56 patients after a colonoscope tested positive for bacteria during routine testing. Patients on whom the offending colonoscope was used are being contacted by clinicians.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Weight Loss Supplement Safety Recall (Colombia): INVIMA warns consumers not to purchase or use Fruta Planta / Reduce Weight, sold over the Internet as a weight loss product, after Belgian authorities found sibutramine in the product. Sibutramine is not permitted to be sold in Colombia, as its use can produce serious side effects in some people.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.