Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Light Brown Sugar (UPC 41735-06277), because the bags contain dark brown sugar.
- Food Safety Recall: Aquatec Seafoods Ltd. (Comox, BC) recalls Mussels (10-lb & 20-lb bags; Lot #453, harvested October 3/11 & Lot #466, harvested October 10/11) and Taylor Shellfish Canada dba Fanny Bay Oysters (Union Bay, BC) recalls Farmed Salish Mussels (10-lb & 20-lb bags; Lot 6206 , harvested Oct 02/11 & Lot 6233, harvested Oct 9/11), because the raw mussels may contain paralytic shellfish toxins. The recalled mussels were sold mainly to wholesalers, institutions and restaurants in British Columbia, Alberta and Manitoba, but may also have been sold at some retail seafood counters and in other provinces and territories.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Kivan Food A/S recalls vacuum-packed Smoked Venison (1-kg pkg; Produced 21/9-2011; Expiry 21/10-2011), because Listeria was found in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Salumificio Manuelli S.r.L. recalls Salametto Milano (Lot 3425; Sold beginning 22/09/2011), after an unsatisfactory microbiological analysis is reported. The recalled Salametto Milano was sold in Gros Cidac stores.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Tri Ceffyl Bach Nursery in Amlwch was closed as a precaution after three cases of E. coli O157 were found in children attending the nursery.
- Outbreak Alert (Ireland): A Limerick child care center was asked to close by public health officials after an outbreak of E. coli O26 was confirmed in some children.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1434): Salmonella spp. in salami from Italy; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1435): Aflatoxins in pistachio nuts from Iran, via Germany; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1439): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis among 20 children at a kindergarten in Tseung Kwan O.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Bundaberg Brewed Drinks Pty Ltd. recalls Bundaberg Burgundee Creaming Soda (340ml glass bottle; Best before 20 NOV 12), due to fermentation that increased the risk of product shattering. The recalled beverage was sold in IGA Supermarkets, takeaway outlets, corner stores, service stations and cafes in NSW and QLD only.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Maleny Dairies Pty. Ltd. recalls several flavors of cows milk and goats milk, due to the possible presence of chemical contamination. The recalled product was sold in restaurants, cafes, specialty Coffee Shops, Schools, IGA supermarkets, Coles, Woolworths, petrol Stations and other independent retail outlets in South East Queensland. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of affected products and date codes.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.