Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Phil’s Fresh Foods, Inc. (Boulder, CO) recalls EVOL. Burritos Fire Grilled Chicken Fajitas (7-oz cartons; Produced between Feb. 2, 2011 and Feb. 3, 2011), and EVOL. Burritos Fire Grilled Steak Fajitas (7-oz cartons; Produced between Feb. 2, 2011 and Feb. 3, 2011), as the chicken fajita packages may contain steak, and the steak fajita packages may contain chicken. The recalled fajitas were distributed to retail establishments nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: Osamu Corporation (Gardena, CA) recalls frozen ground tuna (Lot #7013), because FDA found decomposition in several samples of the product and also found elevated histamine levels in samples taken from one retail location. The recalled tuna was shipped to three distributors – AFC Corporation, Red Shell Foods, and Pacific Fresh Fish Company – from 08/18/11 to 09/08/11. Pacific Fresh Fish Company is a Los Angeles cash and carry establishment; the other two distributors have sushi franchises located in grocery stores. Please refer to the recall notice for information on where these sushi franchises are located.
- Public Health Alert: The Ohio Department of Agriculture has issued a public health alert for all meat and poultry wraps and salads produced by the Columbus Sandwich Company (Pickerington, OH) that were produced without the benefit of inspection. The affected sandwiches and salads were produced from July 2011 through the present, and distributed to various retail and restaurant locations throughout Columbus (Ohio), including Global Gallery, Kafe Kerouac, Hagerty Hall at OSU (“Java Master”), Java Central, Underground Café, Java’s Cyber Espresso Bar (Convention Center), and Java’s Cyber Espresso Bar (Columbus Public Library).
- Food Safety Recall: River Ranch Fresh Foods, LLC (Salinas, CA) recalls 4 varieties of Hy-Vee bagged salads (Best by 14OCT2011), and 4 varieties of Giant Eagle’s Farmers Market brand bagged salads (Best by October 14, 2011), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): WIOS Food ApS recalls all lots and dates of Tarte à la creme de cacao and Brownies, due to an excessive amount propylene glycol.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): System Fruit A/S recalls Fresh Estragon (20g; Lot #273, 274, 275, 276 and 277), because Salmonella was found in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1427): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled gorgonzola cheese from Italy; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1430): Listeria monocytogenes in frozen smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1432): Undeclared milk ingredient in orange and grenadine flavoured ice stick from Belgium; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1433): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled sliced smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Israel): The Israeli Health Ministry has warned the public not to consume the following smoked salmon products, because they may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes: Fish World EXTRA PRODUCT brand Smoked Salmon (150g pkg; Sell by 21:10:11 and 26.10.11) and Dlapis Ltd cold smoked salmon (200g; Dates 02:10:11 and 02:11:11).
- Outbreak Alert (Afghanistan): More than 200 NATO soldiers who ate at a Germany army canteen in northern Afghanistan developed food poisoning. The 138 Germans and 68 military from other countries have recovered from their symptoms.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.