Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: NOW Foods recalls Brewer’s Yeast Tablets, 10 grain, 650 mg, 200 tablets/bottle (Product code 2410; Lot #1334119, 1354098, and 1362375), and 500 tablets/bottle (Product code 2412; Lot #1347607, 1334773, and 1358774), due to the presence of undeclared milk allergen. The recalled Brewer’s Yeast Tablets were distributed throughout the USA and exported to other countries.
- Food Safety Recall: Giant Eagle recalls several Giant Eagle Deli Sandwich Rings (Large Italian, Mini Italian, Large New York, Mini New York, Large All American, Mini All American; All outstanding lots), because the lettuce used in the sandwich rings may be contaminated with Listeria.
- Allergy Alert: Marché de La Rousselière inc (dba Metro Plus, Montreal, QC) recalls Banana Cake, Maple & Nut Cake and 4-Quart Cake, because the cakes may contain undeclared milk, nuts and/or sulfites.
- Allergy Alert: Global Trading Network Ltd. recalls numerous kimchi products due to the presence of undeclared allergens, including fish, crustacean/shellfish and sesame seeds. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products, which were distributed in Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba.
- Allergy Alert: Mr. Croquette recalls Pre-fried Nasi-Hapjes (Rice Patties), Pre-fried Bami-Hapjes (Noodle Patties), Regular Nasi-Hapjes, and Regular Bami-Hapjes (4 or bulk count; All codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk, soy and wheat. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Hygaard Fine Foods (Est 318; Sherwood Park, Alberta) recalls Hygaard Mini Sub Sandwiches (130g pkgs; Best before OCT 21), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled sandwiches were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nunavut and Yukon Territories.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Rock Farm Dairy recalls Rock Farm Dairy Whole Milk, Semi-Skimmed Milk, Skimmed Milk, Double Cream, Single Cream and Whipped Cream (various sizes; All Use By dates up to and including 19 October 2011), after receiving consumer complaints about a taint and odour.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Les laboratoires Guigoz recalls Lait en poudre Guigoz 1 pour bébés/Guigoz 1 powdered milk for infants (900g metal cans; Lot #1165080622; Expiration date 12/2012), after metal dust was found in several cans purchased at Intermarché. The product is sold only in France.
- Food Safety Withdrawal (Italy): Finpesca Ltd. withdraws Mussels (Lot #1/100915), after being notified by the supplier of the presence of algal biotoxins on some mussels.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1401): Aflatoxins in groundnuts from Brazil; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1402): Arsenic in edible gelatine from Pakistan; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1403): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1404): Bacillus cereus diarrheal enterotoxin in granulated garlic from Italy; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1406): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled Atlantic mackerel from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1407): Salmonella spp. in ground cumin from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium, France and the Netherlands
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1408): Salmonella spp. in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1409): Aflatoxins in kebab powder from Ghana; distributed to Belgium and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1410 & 2011.1411): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1412): Salmonella spp. in Pat Cat 3 pet food from France; distributed to Italy.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1413): Salmonella enterica and Salmonella Senftenberg in rapeseed meal from Poland, via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1415): Listeria spp. in smoked sliced salmon from Lithuania; distributed to Estonia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1418): Salmonella spp. in fresh rucola from Italy; distributed to Finland.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1419): Arsenic in tuna with rice cat food from Thailand; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1420): Bromopropylate in lemons from Turkey; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1421): Listeria monocytogenes in cow’s milk cheese from France; distributed to France and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1423): Tin in canned pineapple in syrup from Thailand; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (South Korea): The Food and Drug Administration recalls Homeplus and Private Brand Red Pepper, because Clostridium perfringens was detected in the product.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a fatal case of Vibrio vulnificus infection involving a 59-year old may with chronic illnesses.
Australia and New Zealand
- Public Health Alert (Australia): South Australia Health issued a public health alert after being notified that a food handler at the Yakatori Takumi restaurant on Melbourne Street in North Adelaide has been diagnosed with Hepatitis A. Patrons who ate at the restaurant between September 21st and October 4th may have been exposed to possible Hepatitis A virus infection.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Cosmetic Product Safety Alert (Mexico & Colombia): Mexico’s Federal Health Authority has seized raw material and suspended the manufacture of Aguamary Face and Eye Cream by Aguaruto Cosmetics, after detecting high levels of mercury in the cosmetic cream.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.