Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Chef’s Requested Foods, Inc. (Oklahoma City, OK) recalls Chef’s Requested CENTER CUT STEAK Hand Trimmed, Bacon Wrapped Beef Steaks, enhanced with up to 20% of a lightly seasoned solution (10-oz plastic double cup pkg; Use or Freeze by 11/12/11; Produced Oct 6, 2011), because the product contains undeclared wheat. The recalled product was shipped to retail establishments in Arizona, California, Maryland, Ohio and Texas.
- Allergy Alert: The Kroger Co. recalls Private Selection Extreme Moose Track Ice Cream (16-oz pints; Sell by June 18, 2012), because the product may contain undeclared peanuts. The recalled ice cream was sold in Kroger stores in Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, portions of eastern Missouri, Ohio and northern Kentucky, South Carolina, and eastern Tennessee, and in Jay C, Food 4 Less (Chicago area), Owen’s, Pay Less and Scott’s stores in Illinois and Indiana.
- Food Safety Recall: CFE International, Canadian Fish Exporters, Inc. (Auburndale, MA) recalls Salted, Smoked Split Herring (Lot #1171; Plant Code 2406; Produced by Leslie Leger & Sons, Ltd., Cap Pele, NB, Canada), because the uneviscerated product is at risk of contamination with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled herring was distributed in 18-lb wooden boxes through distributors in Connecticut, Florida, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Virginia and Puerto Rico.
- Food Safety Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper 80% Lean Ground Beef (sold in Queensbury store only, on Friday October 7 and Sunday, October 9), due to the possible presence of plastic packaging in the meat.
- Food Safety Recall: Giant Eagle recalls R.M. Shredded Lettuce (UPC #3003430195; no lot codes or expiry dates), due to possible Listeria contamination.
- Allergy Alert: Raphaville Int’l Ltd. (Vaughan, ON) expands its earlier recall to include Erom Dr. Hwang’s Premium Soy Drink, Black Soy Drink, Black Soy & Rice Drink, and Dr. MOM Soy Drink, due to the presence of undeclared milk, peanuts and/or nuts.
- Food Safety Recall: Misty Harbour Seafood recalls Misty Harbour Seafood Soft Shell Clams (170-lb; Code #11935) due to the presence of E. coli. The recalled clams were distributed to retailers and institutional customers in New Brunswick and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Sainsbury’s recalls Sainsbury’s Lentilles Vertes, 500g (all Best Before dates between October 2012 and February 2013), because some packs of the product contain undeclared wheat or gluten.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Thailand and Guam): Paton’s Macadamia Plantations Pty Ltd. (Australia) recalls Pacific Islands Club (110g), Paton’s Guam (110g), Paton’s Saipan (110g), Taste of Paradise – Shell & Sand (130g), Crazy Koala Macadamia Nuts (Australian Flag) (130g), and Crazy Koala Macadamia Nuts (Koala) – (130g), because the products (Best before BB 2012/10/15 and BB 2012/10/22) may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Traditional Medicine Safety Alert (Singapore): The Health Sciences Authority warns the public not to use four adulterated health products – ATHRI-Eze, SEAR HEANG TIENCHI TU CHUNG WAN, CAP WIJAYA KUSUMA, AND WIKU JAHE KENCUR – which are sold as traditional Chinese and Malay medicines, because unauthorized Western medicines were detected in the products.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Paton’s Macadamia Plantations Pty Ltd. recalls Crazy Koala Macadamia Nuts Cairns, Crazy Koala Macadamia Nuts Sydney, Crazy Koala Macadamia Nuts Gold Coast, Melbourne – World’s finest macadamia nut, and Australia – World’s finest macadamia nut (130g; Best before BB 2012/10/15 and BB 2012/10/22; Produced on PD 2011/09/15 and PD 2011/09/22), because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled confectionery was sold in tourist souvenir gift shops in Queensland, Victoria and New South Wales.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.