Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Alert: The Arkansas Department of Health warns consumers that a number of mercury poisoning cases in South Texas appear to be linked to the use of Crema Aguamary, a cosmetic produced in Mexico and not approved for use in the USA. Use of this product can result in elevated blood levels of mercury.
- Allergy Alert Amended: The September 30th Allergy Alert issued by CFIA has been amended to correctly identify the undeclared allergens present in the recalled Kimchi products, and to provide additional distribution information. The following products of Korea were recalled by the Canadian importers, due to the presence of undeclared fish, shrimp and/or sesame: Chongga brand Kimchi Richi (80g), Daesang FNF Corporation Gat Kimchi (500g), and Daesang FNF Corporation Godulbbaegi (200g). The products are known to have been distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Manitoba, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, but may also have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Foodfest International 2000 Inc. (Concord, ON) recalls Strubs ready-to-eat Danish Style Smoked Grav-Lox Atlantic Salmon (7 oz/200g packages; Lot code 09262011), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Grav-Lox was distributed in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Brittles ‘N More Ltd. recalls Brittles ‘N More Peanut Brittle (200g; Code 729081), due to the presence of glass particles. The recalled product was sold in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Okanagan Spring Brewery Ltd. recalls Okanagan Spring Brewmaster’s Black Lager (6 x 341 mL; codes J0911 (1700 to 1815) V), due to the presence of process residues. The recalled product was sold in British Columbia.
- Outbreak Alert: CBC News reports that six patients and one employee at the Kenneth E. Spencer Memorial Home in Moncton, NB were infected with Salmonella in an outbreak that started September 18th. One resident of the Home has died.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Tesco recalls Tesco Coffee and Walnut Cake, 380g (Use by 07/10/11, 09/10/11, and 10/10/11) due to the accidental inclusion of pecans, which were not listed in the recipe and are not declared on the product label.
- Food Safety Recall (Netherlands): On August 10, 2011, Hickory Smokehouse Miami, Inc. (Hialeah, FL, USA) recalled 25 cases of Fjord Superior Norwegian cure Smoked Salmon / Hickory House Superior Smoked Salmon Sliced retail pack (Batch 24182), after the Florida Department of Agriculture found Listeria monocytogenes in a sample of the product. The recalled Smoked Salmon was exported to the Netherlands. FDA issued a Warning Letter to Hickory Smokehouse on August 1st, detailing a long list of “significant deviations to the seafood HACCP and food CGMP regulations” and misbranding issues.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Cervera A/S recalls Worchester Sauce (1L glass bottle; Best before 10th June and 16 June 2013), because fermentation has occurred in some bottles.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1365): Diarrhoeic shellfish poisoning toxins in chilled mussels from Italy; distributed to Germany, Italy and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1367): Ochraoxin A in wede aba from Ghana; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1368): Salmonella enteritidis in frozen chicken fillets from Brazil, via the Netherlands; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1369): Insect infestation in roasted and salted pistachio nut kernels from the United States, via Slovakia; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1370): Bacillus cereus in couscous from the United Kingdom; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1371): Oxamyl in cucumbers from the Czech Republic; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1372): Chlormequat in pears from the Netherlands; distributed to Slovakia.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1373): Undeclared soya in corn flakes from Germany, via the Czech Republic; distributed to the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.