Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Flowers Foods recalls Mrs. Freshley’s Canadian Label Apple Cinnamon Fruit and Pastry Cereal Bars, Mrs. Freshley’s Canadian Label Blueberry Fruit and Pastry Cereal Bars, and Mrs. Freshley’s Canadian Label Strawberry Fruit and Pastry Cereal Bars, because the cereal bars may contain undeclared milk. The recalled bars were sold in discount stores nationwide in dual-language (French/English) multipack cartons.
- Food Safety Recall: Thumb Oilseed Producer’s Cooperative (Ubly, MI) recalls the following soybean flour and soy meal (used to manufacture human and animal food), due to Salmonella contamination: Nex Soy (40-lb bags; Lot Nos. TF112310 through TF033011), Soy Beginnings (40-lb bags; Product Code 285100-NFB; Lot numbers TF112310 thru TF033011), Soy Beginnings (1500-lb polyurethane totes; Product Code 285100-NFT, Lot numbers TF112310 thru TF082311), and soy meal (0.08-ton loads after custom processing; Lot Nos. O011711 through O081711). The recalled soy products were distributed to a “limited group” of wholesale customers in Illinois, Vermont, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and Canada in November 2010 through September 2011. The recall is the result of routine sampling conducted by the company and FDA, which found Salmonella both in finished product and in the manufacturing environment.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for beef products recalled by Manning Beef, LLC due to E. coli O157:H7 contamination.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Superior Metabolic Technologies, Inc. (Marietta, GA) recalls Uprizing 2.0 testosterone booster (black plastic bottle containing 90 capsules; all lots), because tests have shown the product to contain superdrol, a synthetic steroid banned by FDA. Uprizing 2.0 was sold through retail health food stores in Alabama, Arizona, California, Georgia, Mississippi, New Jersey, South Carolina, and Texas.
- Food Safety Alert: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) has embargoed retail meat products sold by Reis Meat Processing (Jackson, MO), after routine inspection revealed sanitation concerns. DHSS has begun testing on retail meat products processed and packaged by Reis.
- Allergy Alert: Flowers Foods (Thomasville, GA) recalls the following Mrs. Freshley’s brand multipack Cereal Bars labelled for the Canadian market, because the products may contain undeclared milk: Apple Cinnamon Fruit & Pastry Cereal Bars (170g (6 x 28g); Blueberry Fruit & Pastry Cereal Bars (170g; 6 x 28g) and Strawberry Fruit & Pastry Cereal Bars (170g (6 x 28g). The recalled cereal bars were distributed in Ontario and Quebec, and may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Gagan Foods International Ltd. (Delta, BC) recalls Gagan Coriander Powder (100g, 200g, 400g & 1 kg sizes; Product of India; Batch No. RSLI/09-10/DG-13), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled coriander powder was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Lindt and Sprüngli (UK) Ltd. withdraws Lindt Lindor White Chocolate Truffles (200g; batch numbers: L4711, L2681, L2621 and L3691; best before dates: 31/07/2012 and 31/08/2012), because the product may contain traces of undeclared hazelnuts and almonds.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Ardo A/S recalls Frozen Whole Raspberries (375g; Package date 25.12.2010; Best before 25.12.2012), because the berries may be contaminated with Norovirus.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Danfrugt Skaelskor A/S recalls Pure Bites Apples and Pure Bites Pears (100g bags; Lot #265; Best before 7 October 2011), because the fruit may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1359): Salmonella spp. in salami from Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1360): Traces of wheat in oat flakes used in oats and muesli from the Netherlands, with raw material from Sweden, via the United Kingdom; distributed to the Netherlands and the Untied Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1361): Foodborne outbreak suspected (scombroid syndrome) to be caused by chilled tuna fillets from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1362): Undeclared hazelnut and almond in white chocolate truffles from Italy; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1364): Salmonella in chilled smoked salmon from France; distributed to Italy.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.