Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for Thornton’s Quick Café’s Chef Salad, recalled by Greencore USA, Inc. due to possible contamination with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for ground beef products recalled by Tyson Fresh Meats Inc. due to possible contamination with E. coli O157:H7.
- Allergy Alert: Prolab Nutrition Inc. (Chatsworth, CA) and Canadian importers recall several PROLAB® brand protein products, because the products may contain undeclared milk and/or wheat gluten. The recalled protein products were imported from the USA and sold in Ontario – and possibly nationally – by retail stores, mail order and direct delivery. Please navigate to the recall notice for a complete list of recalled protein powders.
- Food Safety Alert: The BC Centre for Disease Control is advising the public that products made by Chilcotin Harvest and distributed in the Williams Lake area, and sold from the Ethical Kitchen restaurant in North Vancouver should not be consumed, due to safety issues with the company’s processing practices that present a risk of Clostridium botulinum or E. coli in the meat products. Please refer to the BC CDC notice for a complete list of affected products, which were sold in individual retail packages.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Lindt and Sprüngli withdraws Lindt Lindor White Chocolate Truffles, 200g (Batch numbers L4711, L2681, L2621 and L3691; Best before 31 July 2012 and 31 August 2012), because the products may contain traces of undeclared hazelnut and almonds.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Distributors of Casino, Dia, Irma, Le Mutant, Monoprix, Norma, Parot, and Selecto brands of Sparkling Mineral Water/Eau Minérale Gazeuse, 125cl (Best before 09-12; Lot #L244-11, L256-11 and L259-11), because the contents may contain small pieces of glass.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Defco A/S recalls Silk Cut Fried Chicken (110g; Package date 6/9/2011; Expiry 29/9/2011), because the product is contaminated with high levels of Listeria monocytogenes.
- Medical Device Safety Recall (Italy): CooperVision Inc. recalls Avaira™ Toric contact lenses, because some lenses may have a residue. This is part of a multi-country recall, which was initiated by the company in August 2011.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1340): Listeria monocytogenes in frozen roast beef from Ireland; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1341): Salmonella typhimurium in dog chews from Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1342): Insect infestation of mackerel fillets in olive oil from Morocco; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1343): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1344): Mercury in frozen swordfish from South Korea; distributed to France, Italy and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1345): Ochratoxin A in ground dried chili dispatched from the Netherlands; distributed to Ireland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1346): Unauthorized lincomycin in honey from China; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1347): Norovirus in frozen fruit mix from Belgium; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1348): Mold growth in cheese spread from France; distributed to Malta.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (India): Twenty-three people from Karadikkal village in Tamil Nadu were admitted to hospital with suspected food poisoning after eating fish caught in a local tank.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.