Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety/Outbreak Alert: The New York State Department of Health and Department of Agriculture and Markets warn consumers in and around Tompkins County not to consume raw milk produced at Jerry Dell Farm (39 Fall Creek Rd, Freeville), because the unpasteurized milk may be contaminated with Campylobacter. The State has received two reports of Campylobacter enteritis from people who consumed raw milk purchased from Jerry Dell Farm. The farm has voluntarily suspended milk sales. Tests carried out by the New York State Food Laboratory confirmed the presence of Campylobacter in unpasteurized milk produced at Jerry Dell Farm.
- Food Safety Recall: Kraft Foods Global, Inc. recalls three varieties of Velveeta Shells & Cheese Single Serve Microwaveable Cups, due to the possible presence of small, thin wire bristle pieces. Please refer to the recall notice for a detailed list of recalled products and affected Use By dates.
- Food Safety Recall: True Leaf Farms recalls Bagged, Chopped Romaine Lettuce (Use by 9/29/11), because the lettuce may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The product was shipped to wholesale food service distributors in Alaska, Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Vermont, as well as in Alberta (Canada). The bagged Romaine also was sold directly to retail customers at Unified Grocers, Inc. Cash & Carry Smart Food Service stores in Oregon, Washington and Idaho.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Andrew Williamson Fresh Produce expands its earlier recall notice of Organic Grape Tomatoes to include additional distribution information. The Organic Grape Tomatoes (Product of Mexico), may have been distributed to all 50 US states. In addition, the produce was exported to Canada. The recalled tomatoes were recalled due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Recall: Top Food & Drug announces the recall of San Juan Salsa, Traditional 12/14 oz (Lot 10/19/2011/2013), due to “product bloating.”
- Food Recall: Price Chopper recalls Central Market Classics Bear Foot Brownie Ice Cream (0.5gal), because the product in the container does not match what is stated on the container.
- Allergy Alert Update: Solo Fruit Inc. expands its earlier recall of Solo Fruit brand Dark Chocolate Sorbet to include lot codes 1111116, 1111165, 1111040, 1110346 or 1111062. The recalled product, which may contain undeclared milk, was distributed in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia, but may also have been sold in other Canadian provinces and territories.
- Allergy Alert: Raphaville Int’l Ltd. recalls Erom Dr. Hwang’s Premium Soy Drink (Product of Korea; 102.8 fl. oz/3040 mL bulk package), because the product contains undeclared peanuts and milk. The recalled product was distributed only in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Food Safety Recall: Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce (San Diego, CA) recalls Limited Edition Organic Grape Tomatoes (Product of Mexico; 10.5-oz/298g plastic clam shell containers), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. Canadian importers of this product are recalling the product from the marketplace. The recalled tomatoes were distributed in British Columbia and Ontario, and may have been sold elsewhere in Canada.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Les Cuisines Gaspésiennes de Matane Ltée has updated its earlier recall of Compliments brand Sensations Old-Style Smoked Ham (175g pkgs; Lot codes 230 87 and 230 9487; Best before 2011NO13) to correct distribution information. The recalled product, which may contain Listeria monocytogenes, was distributed in Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Sobeys Store #6554, Marché Alain Viau, located in Embrun, Ontario.
- Food Safety Alert: Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health and Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health warn Ontarians not to consume Strubs brand Smoked Salmon (250g vacuum pkg; Lot 09192011) because the product may be contaminated with Listeria. The recalled product was sold in supermarkets, grocery stores and delicatessens. The extent of distribution across Ontario is unknown.
- Food Safety Recall: Deep Canada Inc. recalls Deep brand Amba Haldar (fresh turmeric) Pickle in Brine (283g; Code MFG 06/11 B.NO:11168 B.B. 05/2013), because the product may contain glass particles. The recalled product was distributed through retailers in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Roussillon Salaisons recalls Regal Catalan chez Leader Price Cooked Pork Ears (Product of Spain; Vacuum packed; Lot 07072011, Best by 05/10/2011 and 27062011, Best by 25/09/2011), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (Sweden): Axfood recalls Spice Field brand Provençal Spice Mix (Expiration/Lot code 30-08-2014 1072 912th), after Salmonella was found in a sample.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Danish Supermarket Shopping recalls Luxusgront Baersymfoni berry mixture containing raspberries from Serbia (350g; Lot No. L1173.3 22:10; Packaged in Belgium), because the raspberries may be contaminated with norovirus.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Parmalat Australia recalls Pura Milk (2L; Use by 12 OCT) and Daisy Fresh Milk (3L; Use by 12 OCT), because the products may contain a small amount of food grade dairy caustic cleaning solution.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.