Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Tyson Fresh Meats Inc. (Emporia, KS) recalls Kroger brand Ground Beef 73% Lean- 27% Fat (5-pound chubs; ID code D-0211 QW; Produced August 23, 2011; Best before or freeze by date Sep 12 2011), Butcher’s Brand Ground Beef 73% Lean – 27% Fat (3-pound chubs; ID code D-0211 LWIF; Produced August 23, 2011; Best before or freeze by date Sep 12 2011), and generic label Ground Beef 73% Lean – 27% Fat (3-pound chubs; ID code D-0211 LWI; Produced August 23, 2011; Best before or freeze by date Sep 12 2011), because the ground beef may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled ground beef was implicated in a cluster of illnesses in an Ohio household. Left-over ground beef from the patients’ home tested positive for E. coli O157:H7. The 5-lb Kroger chubs were shipped to distribution centers in Indiana and Tennessee; the Butcher’s Brand 3-lb chubs were shipped to distribution centers in North Carolina and South Carolina; and the generic 3-lb chubs were shipped to distribution centers in Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. USDA has released a retail distribution list for the recalled ground beef.
- Pet Treat Recall: Delmonte Pet recalls Milk Bone Dog Biscuit, 10lb (Code #90967; Lot code 12071k), according to a notice posted by Ingles Supermarkets. No reason for the recall was given by the supermarket.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: LM Import & Export (Miami, FL) recalls toy cars, due to a violation of the lead paint standard. The products were manufactured in China and sold at Mega Wholesale stores throughout Miami, FL from September 2010 through January 2011.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Cuisines Gaspésiennes de Matane Ltée (Matane, QC) recalls Compliments brand Sensations Old-Style Smoked Ham (175g pkgs; Lot code 230 87; Best before 2011NO13), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled smoked ham was distributed in Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Allergy Alert (France): HEMA recalls Natural Breakfast Organic Spice Bread (4 x 55g packages) because the product contains undeclared wheat.
- Allergy Alert (Finland): Kuopio Salad Ltd. recalls several salads, because the spice mixture used in the salads contains undeclared mustard and celery.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): La Vieille Abbaye recalls Pâte Rôti au Four (320g; Lot 673; Best before 09/11/11), after detecting Listeria monocytogenes in a sample. The recalled product was sold in Cora Hornu and Cora Rocourt stores.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Proprietary Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Tachio Trading Company recalls Gan Mao Qing capsules (all batches) after the Department of Health finds a trace amount of paracetamol, a western drug, in a sample of the product.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Authorities at IIT-Powai confirmed that 500-600 students were suffering from food poisoning. Six students remained in hospital as of Tuesday night.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.