Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Insight Pharmaceuticals recalls Nostrilla 12-Hour Nasal Decongestant (Batch/Lot 11G075), due to the potential presence of a microbial contaminant that exceeds product specifications and may result in infection in individuals with a compromised immune system or those with chronic lung conditions.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns The Cherry Company, Ltd (Honolulu, HI) that a July 2011 inspection revealed a serious violation of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Paramount Muffins, LLC (Newark, NJ) that a May/June 2011 inspection of the company’s manufacturing facility revealed serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Postres de Aqui, Inc. (San Juan, PR) that a March/April 2011 inspection of the company’s food product manufacturing facility revealed that the firm’s products are not labeled in accordance with the Food Labelling regulation.
- Food Safety Recall: Metro Ontario Inc. (Etobicoke, ON) recalls unwrapped, unlabeled cantaloupes sold from Food Basics, 2452 Sheppard Ave. E., North York, Ontario on September 12, 2011, because the cantaloupes may be contaminated with Salmonella.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd. recalls Sainsbury’s Freefrom Pure Oats, 450g (Best before July, August, and September 2012), after testing finds low levels of undeclared wheat gluten in some packets.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Delhaize Belgique recalls Delhaize brand Frozen Cocktail Shrimp (500g; 51/60 size; Product of China; Lot #1072365; Best before 23/05/2013), due to the presence of antibiotic residues in excess of permitted limits.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark); Jensen & Köppen ApS recalls United Parsley (120g; Lot 1209; Product of Italy), due to Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1271): Salmonella in paan leaves (betel) from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1272): Yersinia enterocolitica in chilled chicken wings from Germany; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1273): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1274): Salmonella in paan leaves from Bangladesh; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1276): Mercury in chilled swordfish from Malta; distributed to Malta.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1277): Nitrofuran in frozen shrimps from China; distributed to Belgium and Luxembourg.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1278): Erucic acid in lemon pickle from India; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1279): Mercury in chilled swordfish from Malta; distributed to Malta.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1282): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Denmark, with raw material from Norway; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1283): Cadmium in dried shark fins from Vietnam; distributed to France.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1284): Undeclared gluten, egg and wheat in beef stroganoff from France; distributed to Ireland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1285): Mold growth in, and altered organoleptic characteristics of, strawberry yoghurt from Germany; distributed to Austria and Germany.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety ordered the temporary closure of the fish portion of PARKnSHOP Superstore (Tsuen Wan, New Territories), after Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor serotype Ogawa was found in a water sample taken from a fish tank inside the shop.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a suspected food poisoning outbreak involving 29 students and staff from a primary school in Sham Shui Po.
Australia and New Zealand
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): Analysis carried out by the Therapeutic Goods Administration has confirmed the presence of sildenafil (the active ingredient in Viagra) in Black Ant Capsules. This product has not been approved for sale in Australia, but can be purchased over the Internet.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): Analysis carried out by the Therapeutic Goods Administration has confirmed the presence of sildenafil (the active ingredient in Viagra) in Qing Tian Zhu tablets. This product has not been approved for sale in Australia, but can be purchased over the Internet.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.