Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Strong America Ltd (New York) recalls Huipu Chinese Wolfberry (5.28 oz clear plastic package), due to the presence of undeclared sulfites. The recalled Wolfberry was distributed in Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Albany, NY.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): USDA issues updated retail distribution list for ground turkey recalled by Cargill Meat Solutions Corporation due to contamination with antibiotic-resistant Salmonella Heidelberg.
- Food Safety Recall: Safeway recalls Jumbo Cantaloupes from the Rocky Ford region of Colorado (supplied by Jensen Farms; sold between August 30 and September 6), because the cantaloupes may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The melons were sold in Safeway stores in Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico (Aztec and Farmington), South Dakota and Wyoming.
- Food Safety Recall: Del Bueno (Grandview, WA) recalls Queso Fresco Casero Fresh Cheese (16-oz. pkg; Date stamp Sept 14, 2011), because the cheese may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled cheese was sold in retail markets in Washington and at the Pasco, WA flea market.
- Outbreak Alert: The City of Lubbock Texas has issued a health alert regarding a Cheddars restaurant employee who contracted hepatitis A. According to Marler Blog, the city is offering a free Hepatitis A vaccine clinic to anyone who ate at Cheddars during August 31st to September 8th, inclusive.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Qualitest Pharmaceuticals recalls multiple lots of Cyclafem, Emoquette, Gildess, Orsythia, Previfem and Tri-Previfem oral contraceptives, due to a packaging error that makes the lot number and expiry date no longer visible. Please navigate to the Qualitest site for a list of affected lot numbers.
- Allergy Alert: Five Continents International Ltd. recalls Hong Kong Zhi Zun Fu Gui Moon Cake (750g; Exp 20/10/2011), due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Allergy Alert: European Market Bakery recalls various European Market Bakery breads, due to the presence of undeclared milk.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Due to a packaging error, some packs of Cow and Gate Little Gourmet meals labelled (on outer sleeve) as Tender Beef Stroganoff; best before 24.6.2012; 2 x 200g bowls in an outer sleeve contained two bowls of Little Gourmet Tuscan Style Chicken Tagliatelle instead of the Tender Beef Stroganoff. This product may be unsafe for consumers who have an allergy or intolerance to egg, wheat or gluten.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): WIOS Food ApS recalls Apple Pie, Tarte aux Pommes (Product of Spain; 400g; Lot #1193C; Expiry 25/9-2011), because it contains excessive propylene glycol.
- Food Safety Recall (Scotland): Tower Bakery recalls nine varieties of savoury product (use-by dates up to and including 29 September 2011), because the products were labelled with incorrect date codes.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Carrefour recalls Engagement Qualité Carrefour Petit Munster Fermier and Assortiment de Fromages au Lait Cru (sold between 25/08/11 and 13/09/2011, after Listeria monocytogenes was found in the cheese.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): UCB Pharma recalls VIMPAT, 15mg/ml (200ml vials; all lots; Product of Germany), after a precipitate was observed in certain vials.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Spain): UCB Pharma S.A. recalls VIMPAT 15mg/ml (200ml vials; all lots; produced by UCB Pharma GmbH, Germany), due to the appearance of precipitate in some vials.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Janssen recalls Eprex 2000 IU/ml (Lot #AHS4T00; Expiry January 2012), due to an elevated concentration of active agent.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1245): Glass fragments in glass bottles containing cider from the United Kingdom, manufactured in Belgium; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1246): Aflatoxins in ground nutmeg from Indonesia, via the Netherlands; distributed to Bulgaria, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1248): Cadmium in horse meat from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1249): Escherichia coli O26:H11 in frozen minced veal meat from France, with raw materials from the Netherlands; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1250): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled mackerel from Norway, via Denmark; distributed to Germany, Greece and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1252): Bemzopyrene and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in roasted seaweed from China; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1253): Rusty cans containing whole radish and shredded radish from China; distributed to Belgium, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU# 2011.1254): Lead in frozen rabbit haunches with bones from Austria; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU# 2011.1255): Nitrofuran in frozen prawns from China; distributed to Sweden.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (India): Thirty-seven girls at a Malegaon school were hospitalized for food poisoning after consuming khichdi at a midday meal.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Little Creatures Brewing Pty Ltd. recalls Little Creatures Pale Ale Pint (Between 7 JUL 12 and 5 Aug 12), Little Creatures Bright Ale Pint (7 APR 12) and Little Creatures The Dreadnought Single Batch Pint (4 MAY 12), because a packaging fault has resulted in the potential for glass contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Asahi Beverages recalls various Apple Time and Homebrand juices, due to the possible presence of metal shavings. Please refer to the recall notice for details of the affected products.
- Outbreak Alert (Australia): South Australia Health has received notification of two cases of Shiga-E. coli (STEC) infections and one case of Haemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS) in children who attended the Royal Adelaide Show. The child with HUS is receiving treatment in hospital, and is in serious but stable condition. Two of the three infected children are known to have been in contact with animals at the Animal Nursery during the Show.
- Medical Device Safety Recall Update (Australia): Johnson & Johnson Medical Pty Ltd. recalls LifeScan OneTouch Verio blood glucose meter system kits, manufactured by LifeScan Inc., USA. Users are experiencing repeated ‘Error 2’ warning messages when used in conditions of high temperature and/or humidity due to contamination on one of the meter’s components, which occurred during the manufacturing process.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.