Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list for ground turkey products recalled by Cargill Meat Solutions Corporation due to possible contamination with antibiotic-resistant Salmonella Heidelberg.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Jensen Farms, Inc. (Holly, CO) recalls Rocky Ford whole cantaloupes (shipped between July 29, 2011 and September 10, 2011) due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The cantaloupes may be linked to an outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes that has sickened at least 22 people in seven states and caused two deaths. The recalled cantaloupes were distributed to 17 states. FDA is warning consumers not to eat these cantaloupes, and to discard them in the trash in a sealed container so that others cannot access them.
- Food Safety Recall: Johnston Family Farm (Newborn, GA) recalls 240 gallons of skim milk (half-gallon and one-gallon containers; Sell-by date of September 16), because the milk was improperly pasteurized. The recalled milk was sold at Whole Foods (Atlanta), Two Story Coffeehouse (Athens), Yogurberry (Atlanta), Daily Groceries Co-op (Athens), Athens Locally Grown (Athens), Sevananda Natural Foods Market (Atlanta), Alon’s Bakery and Market (Dunwoody), farmers markets in the Atlanta area and at the dairy itself.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Buehler’s Fresh Foods advises its customers that the manufacturer has recalled Maalox Advanced Max Liquid Cherry Flavor, 12 oz (Lot #10105720; expiration Feb 28/2013), because of “addition of non-USP water at the manufacturers.”
- Outbreak Alert: The state of Wisconsin and the Green County Department of Health are investigating an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 that has killed a 20-month old girl and sickened eight other people. Two of the victims have been diagnosed with hemolytic uremic syndrome. No common source for the cluster of nine cases has been found as yet.
- Allergy Alert: Kuo Hua Trading Company Ltd. recalls Trojan Instant Fruit Latte powders, including Taro, Magic Mocha, and Bubble Ice Coffee (Product of Taiwan; 1000g packages; Code #P6154), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled products were distributed in British Columbia.
- Allergy Alert (UK): E.H. Booths and Co. Ltd. withdraws Booth’s Caesar Salad (215g; all date codes) due to the presence of undeclared fish.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1238): Salmonella in houttuynia leaves from Vietnam; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1239): Salmonella in kinh giol leaves from Vietnam; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1240): Salmonella in la lot from Vietnam; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1241): Salmonella in parsley from Vietnam; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1242): Salmonella in pennyworth from Vietnam; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1243): Salmonella in sweet basil from Vietnam; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1244): Methamidophos in frozen peppers from China; distributed to Germany.
Australia and New Zealand
- Consumer Product Safety Withdrawal (New Zealand): Progressive Enterprises withdraws Woolworth Homebrand and Select Scented Baby Wipes, after it was revealed that the wipes contain the restricted preservative iodopropynyl butylcarbamate (IPBC), which may pose a health risk.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.