Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Watkins Inc. (Winona, MN) recalls SoyNilla (7.7-oz containers; Lot #3000280), because the product contains undeclared milk. The recalled SoyNilla was distributed nationwide through the Watkins network of independent contractors, associates and mail orders.
- Allergy Alert: Chocolate Decadence (Eugene, OR) recalls multiple lines of Chocolate Decadence chocolate bars, almond clusters, assorted fruit clusters, chocolate buttons (various flavors), truffles, fudge and molded chocolates, because the products may contain undeclared milk. One Connecticut customer has reported an allergic reaction after eating the chocolate.
- Allergy Alert: Falcon Trading Company, Inc./SunRidge Farms (Pajaro, CA) recalls SunRidge Farms All Natural Milk Chocolate Cranberries (Lot Code 0211176, manufactured on January 21, 2011; Lot Code 3271003, manufactured on November 29, 2010), because the products may contain SunRidge Farms All Natural Milk Chocolate Toffee Peanuts. Peanuts, which are an allergen, are not declared on the product label.
- Food Safety Recall: Fine Mexican Food Products, Inc. (City of Orange, CA) recalls Frozen Avocado Pulp (12/2-lb per case; distributed since June 2010; Expiration June/July/August 2012) and IQF Avocado Halves (8/3-lb/carton; distributed since June 2010; Expiration June/July/August 2012), because the avocado products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recall results from the finding of multiple positive Listeria monocytogenes samples in 20-lb size avocado pulp manufactured at the same facility in Peru.
- Food Safety Recall: Sanith Ourn Farm (Indiantown, FL) recalls Fresh Hot Basil herb (10-lb shipping containers; FLT DATE 08/23/11 and 08/30/11), because the herb may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled basil was distributed to retailers and one wholesale location in Washington, Oregon and Rhode Island on August 23, 2011 and August 30, 2011, and has a 5-day shelf life.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns EPI, LLC (Poplar Grove, IL) that a November 2010 inspection of the company’s manufacturing facility revealed serious deviations from the current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) requirements for manufacturing, packaging, or holding human food.
- Outbreak Alert: FDA, CDC and state and local agencies are investigating a multistate outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes illnesses that has sickened at least 16 people and killed one. The illnesses have been traced to consumption of cantaloupes grown in the Rocky Ford growing region of Colorado. No recall has been announced, as investigators are still working to determine the source of the contamination.
- Food Safety Recall Update: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has expanded its earlier Health Hazard Alert to include additional walnuts and walnut products, because these products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The walnuts and walnut products were repackaged by retailers using bulk walnuts imported by Johnvince Foods in 25 lb cardboard cases bearing Lot code W1866 and the name Andersen and Sons Shelling, Vina, California, USA, and were sold in Ontario and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Defco A/S recalls Smart Cooking Chicken cubes and Chicken strips, and The Good Taste Chicken cubes (150g; All best before dates through 26/9/2011) due to an error in the composition of additives, causing bubbling in the packages.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Vega Salmon A/S recalls Smoked Salmon slices (130g; Lot #77912811; Best before dates from 1/8 through 16/9-2011) after Listeria was detected in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Finland): Vuonos Ice recalls Vuonos Ice Cream (100 ml, 500 ml, 2.5-L and 5-L containers; best before between 28.6 and 31.8.2012, inclusive) after samples were found to contain aflatoxin.
- Personal Care Product Safety Recall (Spain): The Agencia Española de Medicamentos y Productos Sanitarios alerts the public that the following shampoo products contain the active pharmaceutical agent ketoconazol, and have been recalled: Ketoconazol Inmenol Shampoo Al 2%, Ketoconazol Shampoo Al 2%, and Ketocol Shampoo Al 2%. The recalled shampoos were imported from the Dominican Republic.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Advance Pharm Co. Ltd. recalls Duoflue Cold Tablet 1000’s (Batch 35262), because the newly revised label wrongly indicates the quantity of 500mg for the ingredient paracetamol. The correct quantity should be 150mg.
- Food Safety Alert (Singapore): The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) advises the public that La Ruche tapenade and tartinade products implicated in France’s botulism outbreak were not exported to Singapore. Nevertheless, AVA warns consumers who may have purchased the products while traveling in France to discard these products.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.