Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Quaker Oats Company (Chicago, IL) recalls Quaker Chewy Smashbar Graham Pretzel snack bars (8-count; UPC bar code ending 31108; Best before Oct 29 11 RB, Oct 30 11 MM, Oct 30 11 RB, Nov 22 11 RB, Nov 23 11 RB, Nov 24 11 RB, Nov 27 11 RB, Dec 22 11 RB, Dec 22 11 MM, Dec 23 11 RB, Dec 23 11 MM, Dec 24 11 RB, Dec 24 11 MM), because the product contains undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Ludwig Dairy Products, Inc. (Dixon, IL) recalls all Ludwig brand milk, cheese and other dairy products and Nuestro Queso brand drinkable yogurt product, after a routine inspection by the Illinois Department of Public Health found pasteurizing equipment operating improperly, potentially allowing raw milk to be mixed with pasteurized milk and sold in dairy products. The recalled Ludwig and Nuestro Queso milk and dairy products were sold mostly in northern Illinois (Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will counties), as well as in Indiana, New Jersey and New York.
- Food Recall: Food City recalls Food Club Roasted Red Pepper Dip. No details given.
- Outbreak Alert: The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment alerts the public to a sharp increase in the number of Listeria monocytogenes infections reported in the state since the beginning of August. Seven new cases were reported since August 29th, for a total of nine during the month of August – nearly equal to Colorado’s typical annual total of 10 cases. The source of the outbreak is under investigation.
- Animal Vaccine Device Safety Alert: FDA warns veterinarians and pet owners, particularly cat owners, of the possible risk of fractures with the Vet Jet™ transdermal vaccination system device. The device, made by Bioject, Inc., is sold exclusively as the delivery system for the Merial product, PUREVAX® Recombinant Feline Leukemia Vaccine. The device delivers the leukemia vaccine through the skin to cats. FDA is aware of three recent adverse event reports involving the use of the Vet Jet™ device in kittens. FDA is aware of three recent adverse event reports.
- Allergy Alert: Indianlife Food Corporation expands its earlier recall to include the following Indianlife brand Papadums (120g packages; Product of India; Codes up to and including 11238), which may contain undeclared gluten: Black pepper, Cumin, Green Chili and Plain. The recalled products were distributed in Alberta, British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Ontario and Quebec and may have been distributed nationally, including in Whole Foods Market stores.
- Allergy Alert: Double Food Trading recalls Tapioca Starch Pearls (3kg; Mfg 10.12.26; Exp 11.12.26), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites.
- Allergy Alert: Possmei Canada Inc. (Markham, ON) recalls various Possmei brand tea flavour mix powder products (Product of Taiwan; 1000g/35.27oz pkgs; all lot codes), because the packages include a non-dairy creamer that contains undeclared milk ingredient. The recalled products were distributed in Ontario. Please refer to the recall notice for a complete list of affected products.
- Food Recall: Lilydale recalls Lilydale Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (Costco item #44845; Best before September 4th to September 6th, 2011, inclusive), due to early spoilage issues. The recalled chicken thighs were sold at Costco Wholesale in British Columbia between August 27 and August 31, 2011.
- Natural Health Product Safety Recall: Wing Quon Enterprises Ltd. recalls Bi Yan Plan (NPN# 80023876; all lots) after the product was found to contain an excessive amount of mercury.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Marks & Spencer withdraws Marks & Spencer Roast Potatoes, 400g (Use by 6 September 2011 and 7 September 2011), because the product contains undeclared gluten, wheat and milk.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): EcoProtein recalls BetterBar Raw Brazilian Nuts & Cocoa, Raw Vanilla & Almonds, and Raw Coconut & Barley Grass organic energy bars (44g; Shelf life of 15/2-2012, 12/2-2012 and 15/2-2012, respectively), due to mold growth on the bars.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1183): Insect infestation in risotto rice from Italy, via the United Kingdom; distributed to Ireland.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1184): Adulteration of feed additives from Brazil, via China; distributed to Slovenia.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1185): Salmonella in meat and bone meal from Sweden; distributed to Denmark, Hungary, Latvia and Sweden.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Wah Shun Medicine Limited recalls ChuFengT’ouKu Wan, a licensed proprietary Chinese medicine imported from the Mainland, after the Department of Health found traces of paracetamol, a western drug, in the product. Wah Shun also has suspended the sale of a related product, Kong Kwood Sun Wan, which has the identical herbal formula and is from the same Mainland manufacturer.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.