Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert Update: So Ono Food Products (Honolulu, HI) expands earlier recall to include So Ono Fresh Caesar Salad with Chicken (9.5-oz containers; Use by 09/01/11 through 09/04/11), because the product contains undeclared egg.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Northern Boulevard Corporation (Jackson Heights, NY) that an April 2011 inspection of the company’s wholesale distribution facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Airline Seafood, Inc. (Houston, TX) that a November 2010 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation, and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- Food Recall: Price Chopper recalls Clear Value Oyster Crackers (Lot No. Jan 11, 2012 AB), because of the product’s potential to exhibit odd odors.
- Allergy Alert: Simla Foods recalls Asian Delight Butter Chicken Samosa, 400g and Asian Delight Chicken Halal Pakora, 500g, because the products contain undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert: Gelatissimo Ltd. recalls Gelato Factory Tiramisu (11.4 L; Lot 2818), because the product contains undeclared egg and wheat.
- Allergy Alert: QOOLA Holdings recalls Yocream Non-fat New York Style Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt Mix (1.89L; Codes 0391 and 0961), due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Recall: Afroleck Inc. recalls NDEYE brand Arachide en Poudre Noflaye (300g; Best before 31DE2011) and NDEYE brand Pâte d’arachide Tigadèguè (500g; Best before 30AU2012), because the products contain aflatoxin.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (UK): Reckitt Benckiser (UK) Ltd. recalls all remaining unexpired stock of Nurofen Plus tablets in any pack size, after receiving reports of rogue bluster strips of Seroquel XL 50mg and Neurontin 100mg tablets in cartons of Nurofen Plus tablets.
- Food Safety Recall (Sweden): Atria Scandinavia recalls Lithells Hot Dogs (Best before September 17, 18 and 19), after Listeria is found in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Sweden): ICA recalls ICA hot dogs (900g and 630g; Best before 14 and 16 September) and Euroshopper hot dogs (900g; Best before 16 September), after Listeria was found during a routine check.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Gert Nielsen A/S recalls Chopped Pork (approx. 2.5kg; Expiry 22/08/2011) and chopped Svinesmåkød, max 12% (Expiry 20-08-2011), because Salmonella has been found in the product.
- Outbreak Alert (UK): Six cases of E. coli infections, including five children and one staff member, have been confirmed at the James Cook University Hospital nursery in Middlesbrough.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1162): Salmonella enterica in minced meat from Poland; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1163): Listeria monocytogenes in chilled smoked salmon from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1164): Undeclared hazelnut in chocolate sugared almonds from Germany; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1165): Deoxynivalenol in wheat flour from Hungary; distributed to Romania.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.1166): Unauthorized substance dimethylsildenafil in herbal food supplement from the United Kingdom; distributed to Norway.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1167): Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in banana chips from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.1168): Lead in silica and zinc capsules from Germany; distributed to Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1169): Listeria monocytogenes in, and abnormal smell of, chilled smoked halibut from Poland; distributed to Denmark.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1170): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled Atlantic mackerel from Norway; distributed to Austria, the Czech Republic and Italy.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1171): Cadmium in calcium carbonate from Spain; distributed to Spain.
Australia and New Zealand
- Medical Device Safety Recall: CooperVision Australia Pty. Ltd. recalls various batches of Avaira Toric Contact Lenses due to the unintended presence of a residue on lenses from certain lots. The problem was discovered as a result of consumer complaints.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.