Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Silva Sausage Co. (Gilroy, CA) recalls 28,782 pounds of Silva Sausage Smoked Chicken Apple Sausage, and Hickory Smoked Chicken with Apples & Sage (Est # P-6086; Various case codes and production dates), due to the presence of undeclared cultured whey. The recalled products were distributed to retail establishments and institutions in the Sacramento and San Luis Obispo (California) areas.
- Food Safety Recall: Vita Food Products, Inc (Chicago, IL) recalls Vita Classic Premium Sliced Smoked Atlantic Nova Salmon (4-oz pkgs; Sell by date & code of Dec 15 2011 01961B), due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled smoked salmon was sold at Publix stores in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Safeway stores in California, Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and District of Columbia, Meijer stores in Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky, Vons stores in California, Genuardi’s stores in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, Winn Dixie stores in Florida, and the Edgewater Produce store in Chicago, IL on or after July 25, 2011. Some packages also may have been sold at various grocery stores in the Buffalo (NY) and Puttsburgh (PA) metropolitan areas, and in Northeast Ohio.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: U.S. Marshals seized all FDA-regulated food susceptible to rodent and pest contamination or other filth held at the Durham, North Carolina, warehouse of CFSD, Inc., which does business as Chan’s Food Service. According to FDA’s complaint, the products are adulterated under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, because they have been held under insanitary conditions.
- Boil Water Advisory (Washington State): A Boil-Water Advisory has been issued to customers of the Basin City Water-Sewer District water system, because E. coli were found in the water during routine water quality monitoring.
- Allergy Alert Update: Indianlife Food Corporation (Burnaby, BC) recalls Indianlife brand Plain Papadums (120g pkgs; Codes MFG 10249 and MFG 11027), due to the presence of undeclared gluten. This is an expansion of the original Allergy Alert, issued on August 24, 2011.
- Medical Device Safety Recall: Costco Canada warns its customers that CoopervVision has announce a voluntary recall of certain Encore100 Toric Contact Lenses (Item #277220), purchased between April 18 and August 23, 2011 at Costco Canada warehouse stores. The recalled lenses may cay temporary hazy or blurry vision or discomfort,most likely caused by transient or reversible swelling of the surface layer of the cornea.
- Consumer Advisory: Following FDA’s recent Import Alert on papayas imported from Mexico, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is working with authorities in the United States and Mexico to identify any products that have been shipped to Canada. Based on this information, the CFIA will determine if Canada requires additional import controls. There have been two reported illnesses of Salmonella Agona in Canada; both cases were associated with consuming papayas while traveling in Mexico.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Waitrose recalls Waitrose Cook’s Ingredients Pulled Ham Hock (180g; Use by 27, 29 and 31 August 2011) and Waitrose Essential Corned Beef (140g; Use by 2 September 2011), after routine testing detected the presence of Listeria in these products.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Asda recalls six flavors of Asda Chosen By You drinks (6 x 300ml bottles; all date codes) because there is a possible risk of choking associated with the sports caps on the bottles.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): East End House recalls East End Coriander Poudre (1kg; Batch code 0313L2B; Best before 09/11/12), due to the presence of Salmonella.
- Food Alert (Norway): After finding residues of the fungicide procymidon in a random sample of Polish raspberries in stock at Rora Factories AS, the Norway Food Safety Authority has imposed a sales ban on the raw materials and products of the above-mentioned company.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Odin Seafoods ApS recalls Delicato Smoked Halibut (Batch 2011/0223; Best before 25-08-2011; Product of Poland), after Listeria monocytogenes was found in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Gert Nielsen A/S recalls several meat products after Salmonella was found in a batch of the raw material.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (UK): Reckitt Benckiser (UK) Ltd. recalls Nurofen Plus Tablets containing rogue Seroquel XL 50mg tablets, after receiving three reports of rogue Seroquel XL 50mg tablets in cartons of the Nurofen Plus.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall: La Cloche recalls La Cloche Chicken Liver Paté (200-500g packages; Batches dated 19 July 2011 to 28 August 2011), because the paté may be contaminated with Campylobacter. The recalled paté was distributed only through selected La Cloche, Moore Wilsn, Wholly Bagels and Cameron Harrison outlets in the Wellington area.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.