Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Paleteria La Super (Yakima, WA) recalls Paleteria La Super brand Nut, Esquimal and Pina Colada flavored ice cream bars, because the bars may contain undeclared walnuts, milk, or coconut, respectively. The recalled ice cream bars were distributed to retail stores in the Yakima area.
- Allergy Alert: YoCream International, Inc. (Portland, OR) recalls Nonfat NY Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt Mix (half-gallon carton; Item 92147; Lot codes 2990, 3200, 3470, 3520, 0391, 0461, 0591, 0731, 0871, 0961, 1131, 1171, 1231, 1291, 1541, 1661, 1811, 1921, 2061, and 2131), because the product contains undeclared eggs.The recalled yogurt mix was supplied to distributors and food service operators throughout the USA and was supplied to one US-based export customer. The product is available to consumers primarily through frozen yogurt shops and other retail establishments that serve frozen yogurt.
- Allergy Alert: H-E-B recalls Pretzel Logic 6-count and Single Cookies (sold at all Texas Central Market stores), because the products contain undeclared pecans.
- Food Safety Recall: Buehler’s Fresh Foods announces recall of Pillsbury Grands Jr. Golden Layers Buttermilk Biscuits (5 ct pkg with Best if used by 13 OCT, 14 OCT; 10 ct pkg with Best if used by 14 OCT). No reason given for the recall.
- Food Safety Recall: Buffalo Bill’s Brewery recalls Buffalo Bill’s Brewery Orange Blossom Cream Ale (6-pack bottles; shipped between January and July 2011), because fermentation may cause caps to pop or glass bottles to rupture. The recalled Cream Ale was sold at HyVee stores.
- Food Safety Alert: The Kansas Department of Agriculture warns consumers in Northeast Kansas that meat was stolen from a custom meat locker in Beattie and may be offered for sale in the region. Approximately 250 pounds of ground beef, 100 to 150 pounds of bacon, three custom hogs, a quarter of beef, several hundred dollars worth of beef jerky, 20 to 25 pounds of an experimental batch of chili cheese dogs and a gun were stolen.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that the double outbreak of Salmonella Altona and Salmonella Johannesburg illnesses linked to contact with infected chicks and ducklings has continued to grow. Sixty-five people in 20 states have been sickened by Salmonella Altona, and 27 people in 15 states were infected with Salmonella Johannesburg.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sugar Plum Foods (White House, TN) that a May 2011 inspection of the company’s acidified food facility revealed serious violations of Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 108, Emergency Permit Control; 114, Acidified Foods; and, 110, Current Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Muddypaws Cheesecake Co. (St. Louis Park, MN) that a May 2011 inspection of the company’s processing facility revealed significant deviations from the food labeling regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns The North West Company International, Inc. (Anchorage, AK) that an April-May 2011 inspection of the company’s food storage facility revealed serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for manufacturing, packing, or holding human food.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Schneider’s Fish & Seafood Corp. (Cheektowaga, NY) that a December 2010 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- Allergy Alert: Pan Asia Food Co. Ltd. recalls Chungjungwon Sunchang Gochujang (Hot Petter Paste), 1 kg, due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert: Seoul Trading Corporation (BC) recalls Chungjungwon Sunchang Gochujang (Hot Petter Paste), 500g and 1kg, due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert: T-Brothers Food and Trading Ltd recalls Chungjungwon Sunchang Gochujang (Hot Petter Paste), 500g and 1kg, due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert: Seoul Trading Corporation (ON) recalls Choripdong Enzyme, 454g, due to the presence of undeclared wheat.
- Allergy Alert: Korea Food Trading recalls Chungjungwon Sunchang Gochujang (Hot Petter Paste), 500g and 1kg, due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert: Seoul Trading Corporation (ON) recalls Chungjungwon Sunchang Gochujang (Hot Pepper Paste – Hot Pepper Bean Paste, Mild), 1 kg, due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Solhjulet A/S recalls Nagel tofu Crack Sausages (250g pkg; Best before 10.10.11; product of Germany) due to the presence of undeclared celery.
- Allergy Alert (UK & Ireland): Onken alerts consumers to an issue on their Strawberry, Peach and Summer Berries Wholegrain Yogurts packaging. These products contain wholegrains such as barley, rye, oats and wheat and are therefore not gluten free. This is clear from the ingredients list and allergen warning, however there is a gluten free icon on the packaging which is incorrect.
- Food Safety Recall (France): La Société Patrelle recalls 4 ‘Oclock chez Auchan et Mutant snack with apple sauce, peach beverage and cookies (Lot 139110; Use by 01-2012), because of fermentation in the apple sauce compartment.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Stryhns A/S recalls Langelaender sausage, and Stryhns Smoked Sausage (Best before 8/9/2011 through 16/9/2011) and Sausage Man Langelaender (Best before 7/2/2012 through 15/2/2012) after E. coli was found n the drinking water from the municipal waterworks on Langeland.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Lidl Denmark K/S recalls Dried, Sliced Banana Chips (200g; Expiry 05/04/2012), due to the presence of high levels of PAH, a potential carcinogen.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1133): Dioxins in paprika powder from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1134): Trifluralin in frozen pagasius fillets from Vietnam; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1137): Presence of bacterial inhibitor in pasteurized milk in tank from Germany; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1140): Campylobacter spp. in chilled whole chicken from Germany; distributed to Denmark.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.1141): Unauthorised novel food ingredient Gynostemma pentaphyllum and unauthorised substances vinpocetine, vincamine and vinburnine in food supplement from the United States, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1142): Foreign body in canned stewed beef from Latvia; distributed to Estonia and Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1143): Dioxins and dioxin-like polychlorobifenyls in sodium bicarbonate with anticaking agent from Germany; distributed to Belgium and the United Kingdom.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.1144): Unauthorised substances vinpocetine and evodiamine in food supplement from the United States, via Austria and via Hungary; distributed to Germany.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1146): Salmonella Derby in dog chews from Mexico; distributed to Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1148): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of chilled silver scabbardfish from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1149): Excess sulphite in frozen raw shrimps from Senegal; distributed to Spain.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1150): Arsenic in palm kernel expeller from Malaysia; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1151): Damaged packaging and poor hygienic condition of baked clams from Vietnam, via the Netherlands; distributed to Spain.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Israel): General Mills recalls Pillsbury brand chocolate, marble, and vanilla cake mixes (Expiration dates from June 10, 2012 through August 20, 2012), after pieces of plastic were found in the products
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Forcode Industries Ltd. recalls Ming Shan Brand Hot Bean Paste (230g; Product of Taiwan; Best before March 7, 2012; Manufactured by An-An Food Industry Corp), after test results showed that the hot bean paste contained excessive DINP.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert Update: Genetic tests confirm that the Vibrio cholerae outbreak, which developed in the wake of Haiti’s 2010 earthquake, originated with a battalion of Nepalese soldiers who were serving as United Nations peacekeepers as part of the international relief effort.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.