Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: J.B. Meats recalls 72,800 pounds of ground beef and ground beef patties (various size packages; Ohio Dept. of Agriculture Est. 1188; Date code Aug 18, 2010 through Aug 18, 2011), because the ground beef products may be linked to two cases of E. coli o157:H7 illnesses in Cincinnati, OH. The recalled meat was supplied to unnamed restaurants in the Cincinnati area.
- Outbreak Alert Update: CDC reports that the outbreak of Salmonella Heidelberg illnesses linked to contaminated ground turkey meat from Cargill has expanded to include 111 confirmed cases in 31 states. An additional case reported on August 15th by Montana is not reflected in these totals, bringing the revised numbers to 112 confirmed cases in 32 states. Please navigate to the eFoodAlert retail distribution list for the recalled products.
- Allergy Alert: Overwaitea Food Group LP recalls Berliner Rye Bread (567g; Best before Aug. 12 11), due to the presence of undeclared sesame seeds.
- Allergy Alert: Double Food Trading recalls Tapioca Starch Pearls (1 kg; no codes) due to the presence of undeclared sulphites.
- Food Safety Recall: Beverly Meats (1995) Ltd. recalls ready-to-eat Smoked Garlic Sausage (no date codes or lot numbers; sold on or after August 4, 2011), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold only at Beverly Meats (1995) Ltd., 4018-118 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Food Safety Recall: Afroleck Inc. recalls NDEYE Arachide en Poudre NoFlaye (300g; Best before 30 AU 2011), due to contamination with aflatoxin.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Rieber & Son Denmark A/S recalls K-Salat Ham Salad (1 kg; Best before 5/9/2011) because shrimp was accidentally mixed into the salad, which presents a danger to consumers who are allergic to shellfish.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Natural Resources recalls Doves Farm Chocolate Chip Cookies (150g; Product of Great Britain; Batch code 1080) because the product contains undeclared milk.
- Outbreak Alert Update (UK): The outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis Phage Type 14b that was linked to the consumption of contaminated eggs from a poultry farm in Spain has grown to included 245 confirmed cases. Most of the cases were reported from North West England (107), the West Midlands (37), Yorkshire & Humberside (32) and the East Midlands (28).
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Frucor Beverages recalls V Iced Coffee (470ml glass bottle; all batches/expiry dates up to August 18, 2011), after discovering glass in a bottle.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration warns Australians that Slimina Weightloss Capsules, marketed as 100% herbal in origin and sold over the internet, have been found to contain therapeutic quantities of sibutramine – formerly a prescription-only medicine supplied in Australia until it was withdrawn in October 2010 due to safety concerns, particularly in patients with history of cardiovascular disease.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.