Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc. (Jacksonville, FL) recalls Winn-Dixie Choco Charm Chocolate Drink (128-oz clear plastic bottle with yellow cap) because the product may contain undeclared wheat. The recalled chocolate drink was sold in Winn-Dixie and SaveRite stores in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
- Outbreak Alert: The Pennsylvania Department of Health reports that at least 13 people – including two residents of Maryland – were infected with E. coli O157:H7 as a result of swimming in the lake at Cowans Gap State Park.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1110): Dioxins and dioxin-like polychlorobifenyls in eggs (organic production from the Netherlands; distributed to Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1111): Taste disturbance caused by pine nut kernels from Pakistan via Slovakia; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1112): Cadmium in frozen cuttlefish from Yemen; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1114): Unauthorized Sudan 1 in adjika sauce from Russia; distributed to Latvia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1115): Salmonella in coriander powder from the United Kingdom; distributed to the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1116): Plastic fragments in smoked mackerel fillets in oil from Poland; distributed to the Czech Republic.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): The importers of Flavor Full Black Sesame Spread (Manufactured in Taiwan by Flavor Full Foods Inc.; Best before May 19, 2012) and Kimian Sweet Sauce (Manufactured in Taiwan by Kimian Foods Co. Ltd.; Best before May 9, 2014) recall the indicated prodcuts after they were found to contain the plasticiser DBP.
- Proprietary Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Bio-Tech Chinese Medicine Laboratory Ltd. recalls Pancre-Plus, a fake proprietary Chinese medicine, after the Department of Health determines that the product contains two undeclared western drugs – glibenclamide and phenformin.
- Medical Device Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Bayer Healthcare Limited recalls Contour and Contour TS glucose test strips (all batches) after routine testing by the company determined that strips from half of the bottles produced falsely low blood glucose readings. The defect is thought to be due to an interaction of the strips with the gas trapped inside the bottles.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.