Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Jerry’s Foods (Annandale, MN) recalls County Market Beef Summer Sausage and County Market Beef Summer Sausage with Jalapenos (12-oz chub; use by/sell by date of 9/10/11), because the product contains undeclared whey and soy. The recalled sausage was sold at a retail store owned by Jerry’s Foods in Wisconsin.
- Food Safety Alert: Ripley County Health Department seizes 2,000 pounds of perishable food after a routine truck inspection in Indiana reveals inoperative refrigeration unit, tainted meat.
- Shellfish Harvest Areas Closed (New York State): The Department of Environmental Conservation has temporarily closed shellfish harvesting areas in Nassau and Suffolk Counties due to storm runoff water following record-setting rainfall around Long Island.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Quayside Bakery withdraws Bakestone Fruited Scones (4-pack and 6-pack; All date codes between 10 August and 18 August 2011, inclusive), because the product contains undeclared milk.
- Outbreak Alert Update (UK): Health officials in south east Wales are investigating a possible eighth case of E. coli o157 in the outbreak linked to the Adonis Kebab House in Cardiff. Separately, BBC reports that the restaurant was inspected last month and received a score of just 1 out of 5 (5 out of 5 is best). Restaurants are not obliged to post their hygiene inspection scores.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1099): Arsenic and lead in calabash chalk from Ghana; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1100): Excessive Ponceau 4R/cochineal red A in strawberry drink from Australia; distributed to Cyprus.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1101): Histamine in canned tuna in olive oil from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Pet Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1103): Salmonella Agona in beef meat for pet food from Poland; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1104): Listeria monocytogenes in smoked salmon from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1105): Undeclared celery in vegetable mix from France; distributed to Belgium.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1106): Glass fragments in different mineral waters from Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1107): Listeria monocytogenes in ham from Italy; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1108): Parasitic infestation with nematodes of frozen Barrakuda fillet from New Zealand; distributed to Bulgaria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1109): Salmonella in garlic chives seeds from Italy; distributed to the Netherlands.
Australia and New Zealand
- Health Supplement Safety Advisory (Australia): Some Australian consumers may have purchased the product Sexcellence sachets over the internet. While the label of this product claims the ingredients to be 100% Natural, analysis has confirmed the presence of two derivatives of sulfosildenafil – a derivative of the active agent in Viagra – in these sachets.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.