Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Whole Foods Market recalls Whole Foods Market Stout Beer Marinade and Whole Foods Market Lager Beer Marinade (15 oz plastic bottles; sold between July 3 and August 3, 2011), because the marinades contain undeclared wheat and soy. The recalled products were sold in Whole Foods Market stores in Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington (DC) and New Jersey (Princeton and Marlton stores only).
- Food Safety Recall: Winn-Dixie recalls certain ground chuck products (sell by dates from 7/31/11 to 8/12/11, inclusive), supplied by National Beef Packing Co. LLC, as the recalled products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled products include Winn-Dixie Ground Chuck, Ground Chuck Family Pack, Ground Chuck Patties and Ground Chuck Patties Family Pack, and were sold in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
- Food Safety Recall: Publix Super Markets recalls various products containing ground chuck (Sell by dates between July 25 and August 12, 2011) supplied by National Beef Packing Co. LLC, as the recalled products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled items (please navigate to recall notice for complete list) were sold in Publix grocery stores in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee, and in the following Florida counties: Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Bay, Leon, Swannee, Columbia, Alachua, Marion, Putnam, Clay, Volusia, Flagler, St. Johns, Duval and Nassau.
- Food Safety Recall: The Kroger Co. recalls certain products containing ground beef supplied by National Beef Packing Co. LLC, because the recalled products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled items include Kroger Flavorseal Ground Chuck (5-lb. pkg; Freeze by 8-12-2011), Kroger Beef Chuck Ground 80-85%; Ground Beef Patties – Regular and Family Pack, Ground Beef Seasoned Patties – Regular and Family Pack; In store Made Meatballs – packaged and service case, and In Store Made Meatloaf – packaged and service case (except as otherwise noted, Sell-by dates for all recalled products are July 29 through August 12). The recalled items were sold in Kroger stores in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.
- Food Safety Recall: Walmart recalls certain ground beef products supplied by National Beef Packing Co. LLC, because the recalled products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled items were sold at Walmart and Sam’s Club stores, and include the following: National Beef 80/20 Fine Ground Chuck chubs (10-lb, 5-lb, and 3-lb chubs; produced on July 23, 2011; Freeze-by date of August 12, 2011 ), National Beef 81/19 Fine Ground Beef chubs (10-lb; Produced July 25, 2011; Freeze-by August 14, 2011), National Beef 90/10 Fine Ground Beef chubs (10-lb; Produced July 25, 2011; Freeze-by August 14, 2011), and National Beef 86/14 Fine Ground Round (10-lb; Produced July 25, 2011; Freeze-by August 14, 2011).
- Food Safety Recall: My Country Delicatessen Limited recalls ready-to-eat meats purchased from the deli counter at My Country Delicatessen Limited, 4351 Queen Street, Niagara Falls, ON, on or before August 10, 2011, because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Somalia): The World Health Organization reports that the number of cases of suspected cholera is rising in and around Mogadishu. In addition, cases of watery diarrhea are on the increase, with 4,272 acute cases reported in Mogadishu’s Banadir Hospital, alone. Three-quarters of the cases are among children under the age of five.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Fifteen people were admitted to hospital in Thane in a suspected outbreak of food poisoning after consuming prasad at home.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.