Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Transpecos Foods, LP (Pecos, TX) recalls Hill Country Fare Cream Cheese Jalapeno Bites (net wt. 5.5oz/156g; Sold prior to 8/5/11) and Hill Country Fare Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Bites (net wt. 5.5 oz/156g; Sold prior to 8/5/11), due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Allergy Alert: Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc. recalls Winn-Dixie Lemon Bar cakes, Winn-Dixie Chocolate Cherry Bar cakes and Winn-Dixie Bakery Iced Cinnamon Rolls – 6 pack due to the presence of undeclared egg and/or wheat. The recalled products were sold in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
- Food Safety Recall: AdvancePierre Foods, Inc. (Orange City, IA) recalls H-E-B Fully Cooked Lean Burgers (8 x 24-ounce bags; H-E-B item code 100538; Est 2568; Jroduced June 7, 2011), because the product may contain metal fragments. The recalled burgers were distributed to H-E-B stores inTexas.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Island Sea Farms Inc. recalls mussels harvested from harvest location “Area: BC 13, Sub Area: 15”or “BC 13-15” between July 19 and August 2, 2011, because they may contain Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning biotoxin. The recalled mussels were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario, and may have been distributed nationally. Affected brands include Saltspring Island Mussels (Aquacultured Edulis Mussels; all lots up to and including Lot #289), Albion Flsheries Ltd (Mussel N/Shell Saltspring Isl; All harvest dates up to and including August 4, 2011), Pacific Rim Shellfish Corp. (Mussels or Gallo Mussels; All harvest dates up to and including July 31, 2011), Albion (SSI Mussels: Ship dates of July 20 to August 4, 2011 inclusive) and B&C Foods (Mussels; Processing dates of July 20 to August 4, 2011 inclusive). Consumers are advised to check with their retailer to determine whether they have the affected product. An unspecified number of illnesses have been reported.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1062): Salmonella in meat and bone meal from France; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1063): Listeria monocytogenes in cooked ham from Italy; distributed to Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1064): Unsuitable organoleptic characteristics of blue poppy seeds from the Czech Republic; distributed to Croatia and Slovakia.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert (Saudi Arabia): The Saudi Food & Drug Authority advises consumers to refrain from using Labaik brand capsules, claimed by the manufacturer to cure and treat a number of diseases, after analysis of the capsules shows that they contain high concentrations of restricted painkillers, such as phenylbutazone and paracetamol. The Labaik product is not registered with SFDA and may not be sold legally in the Kingdom.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): A ward at Whangarei Hospital has been closed for the second time in two weeks due to an outbreak gastroenteritis. Norovirus is suspected. Ward 15 is closed once more to new medical admissions, and visitors are restricted to two adults per patient per visit. Visitors must wear protective clothing and observe hand hygiene precautions.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.