Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Cargill Meat Solutions Corporation (Springdale, AR) recalls approximately 36 million pounds of ground turkey products that may be contaminated with multi-drug resistant Salmonella Heidelberg. The recall is associated with a 26-state outbreak of Salmonella Heidelberg infections that has killed one California resident and sickened at least 77 other individuals across the US.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA publishes retail distribution list for meat products recalled by SHSCO Manufacturing LLC (Phoenix, AZ) due to the meat having been produced without federal inspection.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA publishes retail distribution list for ready-to-eat chicken products recalled by Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation (Mount Pleasant, TX) due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall: Food City recalls Food Club Roasted Red Pepper Dip. No details given.
- Food Safety Recall: Murdick’s Famous Fudge of Charlevoix (Bridge Street location, only) recalls individually wrapped caramels, peanut brittle, cashew brittle and saltwater taffy, because they may have been handled by some employees who were exhibiting symptoms typical of norovirus.
- Outbreak Alert: Washington State Department of Health reports that 22 people have become infected with Vibrio parahaemolyticus after eating raw oysters. Eighteen of the illnesses are linked to commercial operations and four to recreational harvesting in Puget Sound and on the Washington coast.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Cuisines Rochette (1976) Inc. recalls Rochette, President’s Choice and unbranded (Cuisines Rochette) meat pies and chicken pies, due to contamination with metal fragments. Please navigate to the recall notice for details. The recalled products were distributed in Quebec and Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: W.S.A. Foods Canada Inc. recalls Halayeb (Arabic) Roomy Cheese (500g; Expiry OCT 2012), due to contamination with E. coli. The recalled cheese was sold in Quebec.
- Food Recall: Walmart Canada Corp recalls Great Value brand Four Cheese Pizza Pillow (400g; all codes) due to an unspecified labelling issue.
- Food Recall: Freybe Gourmet Foods Ltd. recalls Freybe Smoket Pastrami (Incorrectly labelled as “Turkey & Chicken Pastrami on the front label), because of incorrect labeling. The recall affects 175g packages with Best Before date and product code of Aug 22, 2011 110517MHPP.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Defco A/S recalls Smart Cooking Chicken Tern and Smart Cooking Chicken Strips (200g; Best before dates up to and including 17/8/2011), due to fermentation in the packages resulting from excessive levels of lactic acid bacteria.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Lidl Denmark recalls Gold Pot Roast Pork, 500g (Label reads “Packaged 17-08-11; Best before 24-09-11), due to an incorrect packaging and expiry date.
- Food Recall (Belgium): Nutrilab recalls Biofood Pine Nuts (Pignons de pin), 100g (Expiry 02/2012 and 06/2012) because nuts from the variety Pinus Armandii was found in some packages. This variety can leave a bitter aftertaste in the mouths of some consumers.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Innotech International recalls Pharmatex Spermicidal Vaginal Cream, 54mg single dose package (Lot 11011) due to a defect in the seal that could result in leakage of the cream.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.1042): Multiple Salmonella serotypes in soybean meal from Brazil, via the Netherlands and via Denmark; distributed to Finland.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.1044): Undeclared nuts in milk chocolate from Germany; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1045): Ochratoxin A in sweet ground pepper with raw material from Peru; distributed to Poland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1047): Listeria monocytogenes in raw milk cheese from France; distributed to Denmark, France and the Netherlands.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1052): Listeria monocytogenes in thawed smoked salmon from Poland; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1053): Mineral oil in unsalted butter from France; distributed to France and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1055): Aflatoxins in ground nutmeg from India, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1056): Trifluralin in catfish fillets from Vietnam; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1058): High aluminum content in dried noodles of different flavour from China; distributed to Malta.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1059): Elevated residue level for sulfadimethoxine in frozen veal from Italy; distributed to Germany and Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1060): Enterotoxigenic Bacillus cereus in garlic powder from China, via the Netherlands; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.1061): Histamine in chilled tuna from Sri Lanka, via the Netherlands; distributed to Luxembourg.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong & Macao): Luen Cheong Hong Ltd. recalls 0.3% Potassium Chloride and 0.9% Sodium Chloride IV Infusion (Batch OG705) after the Hospital Authority detected failure in a preliminary sterility tests. The affected batch was imported from Thailand into Hong Kong; some 400 units were re-exported to Macao and the remainder were supplied to Hospital Authority hospitals in Hong Kong.
- Chinese Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong & Macao): Han-Fang Chinese Medicine Company Limited recalls 16 Sheng Foong Brand Chinese herbal products (all batches) after the Macao Health Bureau finds two plasticizers in some of the products.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating a confirmed case of Shiga-toxin producing E. coli O124:H19 infection in a 71-year-old woman with underlying illness. The woman also is infected with Vibrio parahaemolyticus. This is the first report of E. coli O124:H19 in Hong Kong.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.